Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 94409 6519
394409, 806519


John Smith, 1829-30. Landmark Greek Revival symmetrical, rectangular-plan former church on prominent corner site with dominant advanced giant Ionic tetrastyle portico to N (entrance elevation), surmounted by square-plan clock tower with circular top stage, based on Lysicrates Monument (see Notes). Grey granite; ashlar to N and E. Base course. Deep overhanging parapet with balustrade to porch. Predominantly large round-arched windows with rectangular windows below with blind recessed aprons to ground. Giant Doric pilasters divide bays to E.


N (ENTRANCE ELEVATION): shallow steps to central Ionic portico. Flanking bays with single round arched windows with blind recessed panel above. 3 tall timber 2-leaf 8-panel doors. Central square-plan tower above with clasping Corinthian pilasters. Rectangular louvred openings to each face. Surmounted by circular temple-like top stage with deep plinth and 8-columned Corinthian colonnade. Shallow conical roof with cap and short spire.

Predominantly timber multi-paned arched and rectangular windows. Some timber sash and case windows to ground at S.

INTERIOR: converted in 1963 to form theatre. Little original fabric. Some tall timber 2 panelled doors.

Statement of Special Interest

This landmark former church forms the focal point of King Street and is situated on a prominent corner site. It is an outstanding example of Greek Revival architecture and is a notable work by the celebrated architect John Smith. The building is especially distinguished by its grand entrance portico and distinctive tower. The use of the Lysicrates Monument as the top stage of the tower is particularly unusual and striking.

The Arts Centre was built as the North Parish Church in the Parish of St Nicholas. The site was in the heart of the parish and was considered to have the necessary commanding position. The church was converted to an Arts Centre in 1963.

King Street developed after 1794, when a town council meeting asked the engineer Charles Abercrombie to find a way to connect the original steep, muddled Medieval streets of Aberdeen to the surrounding countryside. His plan was for two streets, one of which would run from Castlegate to the Denburn and the other which would run from the Castlegate to the North of the town. The latter was King Street. A competition for designs for this new street brought forward a design from Thomas Fletcher. This was to be a long classical façade, with a pedimented centrepiece and this design was begun on the East side in 1805. The idea of a standard, uniform terrace, however, was abandoned when negotiations had to be entered into with owners regarding the length of the frontages and the heights of the buildings.

John Smith was the city architect of Aberdeen and along with Archibald Simpson, was largely responsible for the classicizing of Aberdeen city centre.

The Greek Revival Movement was especially fashionable in the 1820s and 30s and this church was at the height of that fashion. The movement reached its zenith in Scotland with buildings such as the High School in Edinburgh and Playfair's Surgeon's Hall.

The Choragic Monument of Lysicrates in Athens was built in 334B.C. to commemorate a win in a choral festival. One of the first Greek monuments to be built according to the Corinthian Order, it became an icon in the Greek Revival Movement of 1820s-30s Britain. Lord Elgin negotiated unsuccessfully for it in 1829. The Lysicrates Monument was used as a motif in other Greek Revival buildings, especially monuments, as at the Burns Monument in Alloway (see separate listing).

References from previous list description: Contracts, Aberdeen Journal Jan. 7th, 1829. MacEchern, North Church of St. Nicholas. Chapman & Riley, p148. A.P.S.D. N.S.A. v.12 p.34. G M Fraser, Archibald Simpson and his Times (Notes & Queries 1918).

Part of B Group with 5 Castle Street, Nos 1-56 (inclusive nos) King Street and St Andrews Episcopal Cathedral.



1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1866-69). Hay George, The architecture of Scottish Post Reformation Churches. 1560-1843 1957 pf138. A Gammie, The Churches of Aberdeen, 1909 pf39. W A Brogden, Aberdeen. An Illustrated Architectural Guide, 1998 p72.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 33 KING STREET, ABERDEEN ARTS CENTRE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 04/10/2023 04:26