Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

KINGS COLLEGE CHAPEL, COLLEGE BOUNDSLB19943

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
12/01/1967
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 93956 8149
Coordinates
393956, 808149

Description

Begun 1500 (inscription) dated 1504; leaded 1506; crown blown

down 1633, replaced with Renaissance termination 1634

designed Dr. Wm. Gordon (professor of medicine) executed

George Thomson, fleche releaded 1655, William Scot; lower

part of S. wall refaced in granite (buildings removed) 1775;

restored and screen moved 1873 Robert Mathieson;

further restoration work 1890-1. Sir R.R. Anderson; centre

window of apse reinstated Dr. Kelly 1931. Aisleless, ashlar

(freestone) built, 122'6" x 28', 6 bays and 3-sided apse with

stout buttresses large traceried windows N-side and apse,

small windows high up on S. Squat S.W. tower with crown top,

99' high. Interior: ribbed arched wooden ceiling; original

stalls and other woodwork probably John Fendour.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of Old Aberdeen 'A' Group.

References

Bibliography

Ecc. Arch. v. III p. 287

Billings v.1.

Wm. Kelly in W. Douglas Simpson, A Tribute to Dr. Kelly and

P.S.A.S. LXVIII p.363;

F.C. Eales, King's College Chapel, Aberdeen.

W. Douglas Simpson in Country Life

Aug. 26th 1965.

Chapman & Riley, pls. 34, 63, p.147.

Plans, King's College Library.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KINGS COLLEGE CHAPEL, COLLEGE BOUNDS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/06/2019 06:11