Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

MAKERSTOUN HOUSE AND BURIAL GROUNDLB19734

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
16/03/1971
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Makerstoun
NGR
NT 67233 31638
Coordinates
367233, 631638

Description

Georgian style mansion restored in 1873-4 after fire in 1970, 3-storeys high; 7-bay North front with curvilinear pediment over slightly advanced central 3 bays. Harled. Slated roof. 2 vaulted chambers in 1st storey and drawing room in 2nd are most interesting parts of interior.

OLD BURIAL GROUND: predominantly 19th century incorporating 18th century and earlier fragments. Rectangular-plan burial enclosure with pitched stone-coped wallhead and raised segmental arched entrance to S wall flanked by quatrefoil openings. Marble and stone tablets attached to inside walls dating between late 18th century and late 19th century. Predominantly snecked red sandstone with cream sandstone dressings; cream sandstone elsewhere. Roll-moulded architrave to entrance arch with hoodmoulded and mask stops; tablet above; spear-headed iron gate.

Statement of Special Interest

Makerstoun belonged to the Corbets from the mid 12th cent. until 1374; then the McDowell (later Macdougall) family until 1890; and then the Scott-Macdougalls until 1920 when it was bought by James Jardine Bell-Irving from whom it eventually passed to the present occupant his great grand- daughter, Lady Biddulph.

Until 1970 Makerstoun presented the castellated red sandstone appearance which it had been given c.1828. At that time the North front had been advanced to the depth of one room and battlements and turrets had been added to the other elevations. These alterations are attributed by the present owner to Archibald Elliot II. After the fire (1970) the restoration architects, Ian Lindsay and Partners, decided to return Makerstoun to the appearance which it had had after William Adam altered and extended it to the North in 1725. The Elliot and Adam additions on the North were pulled down leaving only the pre-1725 house and then the advanced Adam North front was rebuilt on its old line with its curved pediment. Elliot's crenellations were removed and also two turrets at the rear where a triangular pediment was now added over the advanced central bays. The pre-1725 house, the carcase of which was incorporated in the 1973-74 mansion, had been rebuilt in 1590 on the foundations of the house destroyed in Hertford's invasion of 1545. The East end, which has a vaulted 1st storey chamber may represent the oldest part, a tower-house or peel-tower, to which in the 15th century a wing was added on the West, with two chambers in the first storey, one being vaulted. Alexander McGill made drawings in 1714 but apparently his proposed alterations were not executed. The guest-wing, modernised in 1973-4 has a sundial dated 1684 and inscribed 'HM/BM' (Henry and Barbara Macdougall).

Burial ground of the Macdougall family is situated close to Makerstoun House and contains a number of 18th and 19th century monuments, including that to General Sir Thomas Macdougall Brisbane, Governor of New South Wales (d.1860). The enclosure has a well-detailed external wall and is a significant part of the estate. It is located on the site of the old parish church which was granted to Kelso Abbey in c.1159. It possibly incorporates, in the north and east walls, fragments of a burial aisle which may have been created in the chancel of the medieval church. Further work on the west may have been executed in the later 18th or early 19th century in anticipation of the new parish church being erected (1808).

References

Bibliography

Drawings by Alexander McGill (1714) and William Adam (1725) c/o Mr Christopher Scott of Gala, Hollybush Farm, Galashiels. A Jeffrey History and Antiquities of Roxburghshire Vol III, pp 140-150. RCAHMS, Inventory of Roxburghshire (1956), Inventory no 551, p260. Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett, Buildings of Scotland: Borders (2006), p512.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MAKERSTOUN HOUSE AND BURIAL GROUND

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/09/2019 20:54