Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CROMBIE CASTLELB19602

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
22/02/1972
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Marnoch
NGR
NJ 59102 52250
Coordinates
359102, 852250

Description

Circa 1542, towerhouse with additions, restoration begun late 1930s, currently incomplete. 3-storey, rectangular-plan with corbelled angle bartizans to S, crowstepped gables and rubble stacks. Harled, with chamfered granite ashlar margins. Later, lower gabled additions of circa 1570, 1820, 1860 and 1910.

TOWERHOUSE: E ELEVATION: 1570 addition forming L-plan. Round arched pend circa 1910, to entrance in 1570 wing (see below).

N ELEVATION: gable end of 1542 tower without additions, window to each floor, wide mouthed gunloop below 1st floor window.

W ELEVATION: 2 windows and gunloop at 1st floor, 3 piended dormerheads breaking eaves at 2nd floor.

S ELEVATION: 1542 tower with additions at ground and 1st floor, window to gablehead flanked by truncated corner bartizans.

ADDITIONS:

CIRCA 1570: 3-storey wing to E at right angles to earlier tower, with later pend to doorway in re-entrant angle. single windows to 2nd and 3rd floors. Corbel course at 2nd floor, probably carried a bartizan. Link wall of 1910 (see below).

CIRCA 1820: wing projecting from S gable, single storey and attic addition; window at each floor to each elevation.

CIRCA 1860: single storey, gabled wing at right angles to W, later raised to single storey and attic; door in re-entrant angle to S, wooden gabled dormer to attic. Lean-to porch addition to N with door to tower.

CIRCA 1910: 2-storey wing of 2 bays extending to E, parallel with circa 1570 wing. Window at ground to E gable. Round headed doorway to S with window at each floor to right, breaking eaves at 1st floor in crowstepped gabled dormerhead with finial.

INTERIOR: 2 vaulted chambers at ground floor of 1542 tower; kitchen to N with access to 1st floor, dungeon beneath service stair. Great hall to 1st floor with large fireplace to centre of N wall; concrete lintel of 1930-50 restoration as are modern fireplace to S wall, plaster armorial above, timber open beamed ceiling on corbels. Projecting masonry chamber to NW corner;

"Laird's Lug", with diamond opening below ceiling, entered from 2nd floor through trapdoor. 2nd floor; undivided attic space, windows to NW and S, fireplace to S partially rebuilt, blocked doors to bartizans. Circa 1570 wing: vaulted basement, straight stair to 1st floor, newel stair to 2nd floor formerly with access to (demolished) bartizan above entrance. No plaster work or fixtures; currently uninhabited.

Statement of Special Interest

The towerhouse was probably built on the site of an earlier house by James Innes, 2nd of Crommey, soon after he acquired the estate in 1542. The later E wing was probably added by Alexander Innes between 1570 and 1580. Thomas Innes refers to restoration work about to begin, in his lecture to the BFC (see References) in 1934. Kinnairdy Castle, also Marnoch Parish and listed separately, is also now in the

possession of the Innes Family.

References

Bibliography

NSA, (1834), p384. T Innes, "Cromey", TRANSACTIONS BFC 17 April (1934) p69. F Groome GAZETTEER (1892) p8.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CROMBIE CASTLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2019 17:28