Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

PORT WILLIAM, CHURCH STREET, (FORMER) PORT WILLIAM CHURCH, WITH BOUNDARY WALLSLB19572

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: C
  • Date Added: 17/12/1979

Location

  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish: Mochrum

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NX 33879 43946
  • Coordinates: 233879, 543946

Description

1862; vestry/session-house by Richard Park, 1892. Rectangular-plan church. Vestry/session-house adjoined to S. Rubble. Dressed granite quoins and rybated margins. Projecting granite cills. Tall pointed-arched windows. Y-traceried small-pane clear glazing (windows boarded up, 1993). Red sandstone coped skews. Small grey slates; slightly graded to vestry. Red sandstone ridging.

N (CHURCH STREET) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Pointed-arched doorway at centre; 2-leaf panelled door and Y-traceried fanlight. Windows in outer bays. Pointed-arched openings, partly boarded and louvred at apex, in gablehead. Iron birdcage bellcote at apex of gablehead, with small bell; pointed-arched openings and pyramidal roof.

E AND W ELEVATIONS: 3-bay. Regular fenestration.

S ELEVATION: gabled vestry adjoined to virtually full-width of elevation; door to left and window to right to W; window at centre to E; 2 small lean-to additions to left and centre to S; granite-dressed gablehead stack, with red sandstone cope, to S.

INTERIOR: not seen (1993).

BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble coped rubble walls. 2-leaf cast-iron fleur-de-lis gate to N.

Statement of Special Interest

No longer in ecclesiastical use. Formerly listed as "Church of Scotland, Church Street". The Church was built as a Free Church. Following the union of the Free and United Presbyterian Churches in 1900, it became known as Port William High United Free Church, before uniting with Port William Main Street United Free Church (now the Maxwell Hall) in 1903 to become Port William United Free Church. Following the union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church in 1929, it became Church of Scotland under the name of Port William Church. Port William was united with Mochrum in 1951. The unusual iron bellcote is an interesting survival. Consent given for conversion to 3 dwellings (91/TP/1H31) not implemented October 1994.

References

Bibliography

Records in possession of Minister: Port William Free Church Deacons'

Court Minutes, 1889 - 1902; Port William United Free Church Minute Book, 1903-1912. F H Groome (ed) ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND Vol V (1895) p 37. W Ewing ANNALS OF THE FREE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND Vol II (1914) p 51. J A Lamb THE FASTI OF THE UNITED FREE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND 1900 - 1929 (1956) p 119. J A Lamb (ed) FASTI ECCLESIAE SCOTICANAE

Vol IX (1961) p 165. THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol 14 (1965) p 433.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Map

There is no map available for this record.

Printed: 24/08/2016 03:35