There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 04/10/1994
- Last Date Amended: 01/03/2007
- Supplementary Information Updated: 25/07/2002
- Local Authority: Scottish Borders
- Planning Authority: Scottish Borders
- Parish: Selkirk
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 47376 31377
- Coordinates: 347376, 631377
Peter Womersley, 1972. Late Modernist horizontally styled 2-storey rectangular-plan concrete and glazed studio space set on brick plinth with cantilevered overhanging upper floor, entrance bridge to side and central brick service core through to roof. Deep concrete beams to sides supported by 4 main columns; large pane anodised aluminium framed glazing to ends with heavy metal framed balcony railings, mitred frameless glazing to corners.
INTERIOR: good open plan interior studio space on two floors centred around vertical brick core housing stairs, kitchen and wc. Fitted cabinets under deep cills to long elevations; fireplace to SE corner with square section brick chimney. Simple use of quality finishing materials throughout. Later kitchen units added to both floors (2006).
Statement of Special Interest
The Studio is a very fine sculptural late Modernist building designed by Peter Womersley (1923-1993) the internationally renowned borders based architect. The contrasting structural elements of bold horizontal cantilevered striated concrete join with finely framed vertical glazing to illustrate a monumental sensibility executed with sophistication and with great attention to detail. The studio design displays elements of Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water, the seminal project which Womersley himself admitted inspired him to take up a career in architecture in his teens.
It was commissioned by the textile designer Bernat Klein as a workspace for design, weaving, exhibiting samples and business meetings and lies adjacent to his home, High Sunderland, also built by Womersley in 1958 (see separate listing).
The horizontality of the main structure is neatly punctuated by the vertical brick service core extending onto the roof space and the bridge at first floor level linked to raised ground to the N anchors the studio to the site. The building was designed to connect harmoniously with its setting on the sloping wooded site; the severe horizontality of the concrete elements succeed in contrasting with the verticals of the trees around it.
The studio is a culmination of Womersley's work in Scotland marrying his two distinct styles; the horizontally aligned modular glazed housing such as High Sunderland and The Rig and the highly sculptural concrete forms of Gala Fairydean Stadium and the Transplant Unit at the Western General.
The Bernat Klein Studio won an RIBA award in 1973 for its design and exemplary use and combination of the materials of concrete, brick, steel and glass. It was also awarded the Edinbugh Architectural Association Centenary Medal.
Upgraded from category B to A in July 2002. List description revised February 2007. Permission given to convert to living accommodation circa 2006 has resulted in a further structure on the roof and modern fitted kitchen units.
Peter Willis, New Architecture in Scotland (1977), p68-71. Fiona Sinclair, Scotstyle: 150 Years of Scottish Architecture (1984). Miles Glendinning, Rebuilding Scotland The Post War Vision 1945-1975(1997) p 154. Architects' Approach to Achitecture, RIBA Journal (May 1969). Working with Nature, RIBA Journal (Jan 2002). Awards RIBA Journal, (July 1973).
Kitty Cruft, The Buildings of Scotland: Borders, (2006) p 377.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.