There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 11/06/1971
- Local Authority: Angus
- Planning Authority: Angus
- Parish: Murroes
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NO 44637 34495
- Coordinates: 344637, 734495
14th-15th century; additions 1810. Quadrangular-plan structure, now roofless, comprising ruins of castle to E and partially to S, remaining ranges probably 1810 when whole structure was consolidated and extended as stable court for Ballumbie House. Grey stugged rubble sandstone masonry, droved pink ashlar quoins to 1810 additions, formerly slate roof. Round angle towers to E, square angle pavilions to W. Arrow slit and cross ventilators, gun loops, small openings with chamfered margins; crenallated parapet to W elevation (partly broken down).
E ELEVATION: wall to centre; 2 horizontal window openings to lower level, 2 gun loops at mid height, 5 roll-moulded armorial panels above with coats of arms to left and centre (others empty), evidence of window openings at cut-down wallhead above. Round tower to right;
3 gun loops, 1 small opening. Round tower to left; small opening, roll-moulded window and gun loop, probable garderobe at right re-entrant angle, corbelled 4 metres from ground, later extended to ground level with chute at base, chamfered aperture to right.
S ELEVATION: wall to centre; coat of arms at roll-moulded panel to right, remains of bellcote at wallhead. Round tower to right; gun loop and blank roll-moulded panel to top. Pavilion advanced to left; arrow slit ventilator to ground floor, cross vent above.
W ELEVATION: depressed carriage arch to centre, door and window to left, door and cart opening to right; pavilion advanced to left and right each with square-headed entrances at ground floor with tripartite windows above.
N ELEVATION: paired round towers to left with gun loop and arrowslit ventilator; bay advanced to right with lean-to and enclosing livestock wall further advanced; pavilion to far right as S elevation.
INTERIOR: eastmost round towers have vaulted chambers, dovecot to SE tower; the inner skin of the E wall has been taken down and replaced by brick for stable lining; evidence of surviving early masonry at S wall; other 1810 internal walls which formed an open central court are ruinous, but openings remain evident.
Statement of Special Interest
Ballumbie Castle was the property of the Lovells until the early 17th century, then the Earls of Panmure. Catherine Douglas, wife of Sir Richard Lovell of Ballumbie is accredited with using her arm (consequently broken) as a bar to the door when assassins broke into the room of James I at the convent of the Blackfriars, Perth in February 1437. See also NOTES for Ballumbie House.
Andrew Jervise, EPITAPHS AND INSCRIPTIONS (1875), Vol I, p124; David MacGibbon and Thomas Ross, CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND (1889), Vol III, pp158-159; William Marshall, HISTORIC SCENES IN FORFARSHIRE (1875), pp58-59; Alexander J Warden, ANGUS OR FORFARSHIRE (1885), Vol V, pp8-9.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.