Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

KELSO ROAD, YETHOLM HALL INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLSLB19446

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/11/1993
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Yetholm
NGR
NT 81972 28292
Coordinates
381972, 628292

Description

Early 19th century. 2-storey with basement to rear, 3-bay symmetrical T-plan villa. Whinstone rubble with ashlar sandstone dressings and S elevation. Base course; cill course at 1st floor; eaves cornice and blocking course; giant pilasters flanking central bay and pilastered quoins; long and short quoins to sides and rear.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps up to architraved doorway in advanced central bay; bracketted cornice above; boarded door; 3-pane fanlight; single window at 1st floor; blank stone tablet over blocking course. Single windows in 1st and 3rd bays.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Advanced central block, forming part of boundary wall; window at 1st floor; 2 windows at ground and 1 at 1st floor to left return; window at ground to right return. Windows at ground and 1st floor in bays to outer left and right.

E AND W ELEVATIONS: single window at ground.

12-pane sash and case windows. Grey slate piend and platform roof;

2 ridge stacks with 5 polygonal flues each; moulded octagonal cans. INTERIOR: not seen 1991. BOUNDARY WALLS: high coped whinstone rubble boundary walls with remains of harling to street; pedestrain gateway; low quadrant walls to drive.

Statement of Special Interest

The former stables to the E have been altered to residential accommodation, and are not including in the listing. The house appears to have been owned by the Boyds of Cherrytrees, but rented out. The Rev Baird, who was the driving force behind the building of the new church, lived at Yetholm Hall whilst the manse was being renovated in 1831.

References

Bibliography

OS Namebook (circa 1860).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KELSO ROAD, YETHOLM HALL INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/09/2019 21:19