Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

DOW BRAE, SMITHY HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLLB19396

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
29/11/1993
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Yetholm
NGR
NT 82053 28173
Coordinates
382053, 628173

Description

Mid 19th century. 2-storey 3-bay house with later alterations including addition of 2nd storey (probably early 20th century) and demolition of adjacent building (probably early to mid 20th century; see notes). Squared and snecked whinstone with cream sandstone dressings. Long and short dressings.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: doorway at centre; timber panelled door with small rectangular fanlight; single window at 1st floor above. Single windows in bays to outer left and right.

E ELEVATION: gabled, single windows in bay off-set to left.

W ELEVATION: blank gable with raggles.

8-pane sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; brick gablehead stack to E; truncated brick stack to W; coped gables.

BOUNDARY WALLS: coped whinstone rubble boundary wall to street.

Statement of Special Interest

The house occupies a prominent site in this village setting at the entrance to Town Yetholm from Kirk Yetholm. The deeds to the property suggest that the site was occupied before 1808 when a renewed rental agreement was granted on the property to the family of the deceased surgeon, John Walker, although no building is evident on the first edition OS map of 1859. Historic photographs show that Smithy House was originally one of a pair of single storey semi-detached cottages. It was raised to form a 2-storey dwelling in the early 20th century. Further photographs show that the adjoining cottage to the left had a lean-to addition at the gable end which is likely to have been in use as a forge, with both the 1898 and 1919 OS maps noting a smithy in this vicinity. The single storey cottage which adjoined Smithy House was demolished at some point during the early 20th century, although the lessees of the cottage in the early to mid 20th century were blacksmiths, indicating that the forge may have still operated during this period within the local area.

(List description updated 2009)

References

Bibliography

Evident on OS 1898 (2nd edition); information and historic photographs courtesy of the owners 2009.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DOW BRAE, SMITHY HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/09/2019 21:59