Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

MARTYR'S TOMBLB19276

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
17/12/1979
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Minnigaff
NGR
NX 39710 78836
Coordinates
239710, 578836

Description

1827 (dated). Square walled enclosure, containing replacement headstone memorial (1984). Rubble wall; granite slab coping. Polished granite panel to inside of E wall inscribed "In memory of six martyrs who suffered at this spot for their attachment to the covenanted cause of Christ in Scotland 23 January 1685. Erected by the voluntary contributions of a congregation who waited on the ministrations of the Rev Gain Rowatt of Whithorn Lord's Day Aug XIX, MDCCCXXVII". Lower margin of panel inscribed "A commemoration service was held here on the 15 July 1928 and thereafter this memorial was restored".

Replacement granite headstone within enclosure; replica inscription: "Here lyes James and Robert Duns, Thomas and John Stevensons, James McClive, Andreu McCall, who were surprised at prayer in this house, by Colnell Douglas, Lieutnant Livingston, and" to N face, and "Cornet James Douglas, and by them most impiously and cruelly murthered for their adherence to Scotlands Reformation Covenants National and Solemn League 1685" to S face.

Statement of Special Interest

Martyr's Tomb commemorates 6 Covenanters who were surprised at worship and killed by a party of dragoons on or near this site in January 1685. The original red sandstone headstone was damaged in 1983; it was repaired and placed in Newton Stewart Museum, where it is currently situated (1991). The lower section of the stone (approximately 10") is apparently still embedded in its base on the original site. Although dated 1685, the headstone is probably of later date. It may be the work of Robert paterson (1715-1801), otherwise known as "Old Mortality", who spent his life erecting and repairing Covenanters Memorials; it is said to be the first memorial erected by him.

The enclosure was built in 1827. The memorial was restored in July 1928.

Martyr's Tomb is situated near Caldons, Glen of Trool.

References

Bibliography

M M Harper RAMBLES IN GALLOWAY (1896) p 198. J H Thomson THE MARTYR GRAVES OF SCOTLAND (1903) pp 356-358. GALLOWAY GLIMPSES (1903)

pp 38-40. J G Kinna HISTORY OF THE PARISH OF MINNIGAFF (1904) pp 53-55. Information in Newton Stewart Museum.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MARTYR'S TOMB

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/06/2019 22:40