Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

OLD BARSKIMMINGLB19262

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
19/03/1993
Local Authority
East Ayrshire
Planning Authority
East Ayrshire
Parish
Stair
NGR
NS 48217 25096
Coordinates
248217, 625096

Description

James Maitland Wardrop and Charles Reid, 1882, incorporating parts of later 18th century house with additions of circa 1815 by David Hamilton; some fenestration and internal alterations 1920. 3-storey, rectangular-plan, 5-bay classically-detailed country house with single storey service court to rear. Painted stugged and snecked red rubble, ashlar dressings, ashlar rendered and lined as ashlar at service court arch to rear and pavilion to W elevation, slate roof. Base course, string course to 1st floor, wallhead course, corbelled and corniced parapet, balustraded with angle dies to front and side elevations, margined angles. Ashlar margined windows to ground floor and rear, architraved elsewhere with corniced lintels to 1st floor, 2-, 4- and 12-pane sash and case frames, multi-pane top-hopper leaded lights to ground floor front. Cast-iron rainwater goods; corniced stacks.

N (FRONT) ELEVATION: slightly asymmetrical. Centre bay slightly advanced, pilastered door and sidelights to ground floor, Greek Doric tetrastyle portico, pilastered and corniced window to 1st floor and at 2nd floor with large block apron, pediment with keystoned oculus; 2 windows to ground, 1st and 2nd floor left and right, 2 pedimented dormers. W ELEVATION: 4-bay main house to left; bay to left slightly advanced, out-of-character multi-pane facetted window to ground and 1st floor, window to 2nd floor, pedimented shaped gable with window rising above parapet; 3 bays to right with windows to ground, 1st and 2nd floors, 2 pedimented dormers. Pavilion and service court to right; 2 windows to pavilion advanced at left, pediment to left return with blocked round-headed arch, 3 windows to recessed block at right.

E ELEVATION: 4-bay main house to right; bay to right slightly advanced, multi-pane window to ground floor, window to 1st and 2nd floor, pedimented shaped gable with window rising above parapet; door, bipartite window and multi-pane facetted window to ground floor left, 3 windows to 1st and 2nd floors, 2 pedimented dormers. Service court to left; 5 12-pane windows.

S ELEVATION: main house; pedimented single storey service block at ground floor with doors and various windows, stair and other windows grouped to centre of main elevation, pediment with window rising from parapet flanked by 2 tall stacks. Service court: round-arched pedimented carriage entrance to centre with bellcote at inner gable, bay to left and right with blocked window, bowed angle bays to far left and right, further crenellated bowed enclosure advanced to far right, various doors, windows and blocked arches at inner elevation.

INTERIOR: central well stair, columned landing, compartmentalised cove ceiling with astragalled top light; ground floor remodelled 1920 including staircase and most chimneypieces throughout house.

Statement of Special Interest

The later eighteenth century house (the weathervane on the stable court is dated 1774) in which the present stucture originates was built for Sir Thomas Millar, Lord President of the Court of Session, on or near the site of an earlier house. The additions designed by David Hamilton in circa 1815 included wings to the east and west (shown on the 1857 OS map and Wardrop and Reid drawings), and internal alterations. A fire in 1879 caused the house to be largely rebuilt. The date 1642 appears on the pediment at the south (rear) elevation, a date presumably referring to an event during the Stewart farmily ownership (see Paterson). Barskimming Stables, Walled Garden and Burnfoot Lodge and Bridge are listed in Mauchline Parish.

References

Bibliography

Wardrop and Reid drawings, Edinburgh University Manuscripts Department, E. Coll 122 Rowand Anderson Plans;

OLD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1793), vol VI, p115;

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1845), vol V, p642-3;

THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1951), Ayrshire, pp713 and 717;

James Paterson, HISTORY OF AYR AND WIGTOWN (1863), pp714-9;

OS map (1857), (1895);

information ex Lord Strathclyde, proprietor.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to OLD BARSKIMMING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/11/2018 01:26