Attributed to Brown and Wardrop, dated 1869 over door. Large asymmetrical Gothic house. 2-storey and attic, 3-stage square tower to SW. Coursed squared and packed whinstone rubble walling with contrasting polished cream sandstone dressings and quoins. All windows mullioned and transomed, sash and case with 2-pane plate glass glazing. Attic windows set in gablets.
W ELEVATION: 3-bay with tower to right, maindoor at base of tower. Roll-moulded doorway with heraldic panel above, stepped string course above. To centre, recessed bay with to left, square projecting 3-light window to ground.
S ELEVATION: 4-bay with tower to left. To right, projecting canted bays to ground with embattled parapets flank blind central bay; tripartites to 1st flank single window. Tripartite attic windows in gablets.
N and E elevation similarly detailed, to N elevation in service quarters, parts of earlier 19th century house survive. Tall Neo-Tudor stacks in groups, slate roofs.
INTERIOR: well preserved interior. Hall with scale and platt open stair, barley-sugar twist balusters and arched screened 1st floor landing and cupola. Most chimneypieces original, doors, panelling etc. Sliding concertina screen to dining room. Good simple plasterwork throughout. STABLES: contemporary with house and to N. U-plan 2-storey stable block. Oculi under eaves of central range to courtyard, decorative weathervane above; lean-to to rear. Stone forestiar to exterior elevation of W range. Flat lintels to carriage openings to courtyard elevations.
WALLED GARDEN: rectangular garden to W of house with 2-storey corner pavilion, piend-roofed with single storey gabled wing, and with lean-to service buildings to outer elevation.