Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

The Old Rectory (former All Saints Episcopal Church rectory) including boundary walls and gatepiers, and excluding single storey shed to external service court wall, Challoch, Newton StewartLB19191

Status: Designated

Documents

Where documents include maps, the use of this data is subject to terms and conditions (https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/termsandconditions).

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
30/01/1991
Last Date Amended
12/01/2016
Supplementary Information Updated
15/01/2018
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Penninghame
NGR
NX 38521 67429
Coordinates
238521, 567429

Description

1874. Simple 2-storey gabled rectory with 2-storey wing at rear and lower single storey outbuildings at right angles, forming service court. In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following is excluded from the listing: the circa 1900-1920 lean-to brick shed with corrugated iron roof, located to the exterior of southwest wall of service court.

Squared and snecked whinstone, with buff sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course, chamfered reveals; stone mullions; segmental lintels at 1st floor. Stone finials. 3-bay entrance elevation with segmentally arched door at centre, flanked with capitalled nook-shafts. Plate glass fanlight above 2-leaf door; bipartite windows at ground to left and in advanced gabled outer bay to right, at ground and 1st floor. Gabled dormerheads to 1st floor windows breaking eaves at centre and to left, with trefoil motif at apex in gabled bays. 2-bay side elevations, each with slightly advanced gabled bay; canted window at ground to advanced bay of the south elevation. Predominantly modern glazing. Grey slated roof, with ashlar coped skews and corniced ashlar stacks.

The interior was seen in 2015 and has some decorative mantelpieces and cornicing comprising floral, leaves and grapes motifs. This detailing is predominantly to the principal rooms and includes a marble mantelpiece to the drawing room. Dentilled cornice to entrance hall and some plain cornices to other rooms at ground floor. Ceilings coombed and plain corniced at first floor. Fireplace openings, some now boarded up, are predominantly intact. Most window shutters are intact. Panelled doors. Timber dog-leg principal stair with decorative twisted barley timber balustrade and timber handrail. Simple timber dog-leg stair to rear hall provides access to a two room flat in service wing.

The boundary walls are made of coursed whinstone rubble. The walls have gablet coping, and the ashlar gatepiers have gablet caps with trefoil motifs.

Statement of Special Interest

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following is excluded from the listing: the circa 1900-1920 lean-to brick shed with corrugated iron roof, located to the exterior of southwest wall of service court.

The old rectory at Challoch, dating to 1874, is a good example of church manse which is largely unaltered and maintains a strong visual connection to the neighbouring A-listed church of similar date. The building retains much of its rural setting and forms a group with the church and churchyard, built in similar materials and contemporary in date.

The former rectory is located approximately 4 miles north of Newton Stewart in the hamlet of Challoch. It previously served as the residence for the rector at the adjacent All Saints Episcopal Church (see separate listing), which was constructed as a private chapel for Edward James Stopford-Blair of nearby Penninghame House, with the rectory constructed soon after.

Mid to late 19th century residences for clergy (especially after the Disruption of 1843) are an integral part of Scotland s ecclesiastical built heritage. While Episcopal churches are commonly found in Scotland, the relative number of churches of this denomination is smaller and Episcopalian rectories including listed examples are more unusual. There was a very small number of Episcopalians recorded in the parish of Penninghame at the time of the Second Statistical Account (1834-45) but it is notable that by the later 19th century the number had grown sufficiently to warrant a new church and rectory.

The southwest of Scotland has traditional associations with St Ninian who was responsible for establishing the early Christian church and is regarded as one of the founding saints of Scottish Episcopalism. Penninghame parish is known as the usual residence of the Bishops of Galloway, and therefore is strongly associated with the Episcopal Church in Scotland.

Category changed from B to C, statutory address and listed building record revised in 2016. Previously listed as Challoch, All Saints Church Manse with Retaining Walls and Gatepiers .

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 215894

Ordnance Survey. (Surveyed 1846, Published 1847) Wigtownshire, Sheet XIII. 6 inch to mile. 1st Edition. London: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey. (Surveyed 1894, Published 1895) Kirkcudbrightshire, 032.13. 6 inch to mile. 2nd Edition. London: Ordnance Survey.

Statistical Account (1791-99) Penninghame, County of Wigton, Vol.3. pp.339-343.

New Statistical Account (1834-45) Penninghame, County of Wigton, Vol.4. pp.168-195.

Gifford, J. (1996) The Buildings of Scotland: Dumfries and Galloway. London: Penguin Books Ltd. pp.179-180.

www.allsaintschalloch.wordpress.com/about-all-saints/history

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to The Old Rectory (former All Saints Episcopal Church rectory) including boundary walls and gatepiers, and excluding single storey shed to external service court wall, Challoch, Newton Stewart

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/11/2018 06:55