There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 30/01/1991
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Penninghame
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NX 38517 67485
- Coordinates: 238517, 567485
W G Habershon and A R Pite, London, Newport and Monmouth, 1871-1872. Early English style aisleless church with chancel, vestry and 2 porches. Squared whinstone with red sandstone ashlar dressings; chamfered reveals. Base course, string and impost courses. Set-off buttresses with saw-tooth ashlar coping, dividing bays. Lancet windows. Hoodmoulds with label stops to E and W windows and N doorway. Ashlar apex detail to gables, and decorative, stone, cross finials.
NAVE: 4-bay N and S elevations with lancet windows; gabled timber porch on stone base course on S elevation in bay off-centre to left; timber mullions and transoms and cusping detail, 2-leaf boarded door, steeply pitched roof. Large, 3-light plate traceried window in W gable with trio of blind arrowslits in gablehead. Steps down to crypt.
CHANCEL: adjoined to nave at E end; large pointed arch window with plate tracery to E, blind arrowslit cross above. 2-bay return elevations, that to S with lancet in bay to left, blank bay to right. N elevation with M-gabled porch and vestry projecting (larger gable to vestry). Angle buttresses to porch at left, stone steps to pointed arch doorway to N elevation with blind cross arrowslit; paired lancets on E return. Plate traceried pointed arch window to vestry with dated ribbon carved above and crocketted, stone finial.
FLECHE BELLCOTE: leaded, pyramidal fleche by crossing, with louvred timber opening to bellcote at base and decorative foliate finial. Windows to stone porch, leaded diamond-pane, remaining stained glass (see below). Stone brackets to overhanging eaves. Red tiled roofs with fishcale bands; clay ridge ornament. Ashlar coped skews.
INTERIOR: fine original fittings retained. Cream ashlar walls, decoratively tiled aisle at centre and open timber roof to nave with nook-shafted corbels to brace, hand-turned tie-beam and queen posts; barrel-vaulted and coffered ceiling to chancel with stencil decoration and fleuron bosses. Nook-shafts flanking window embrasures. Pointed chancel arch with hoodmould. Ashlar octagonal font (1872) and pulpit with marble colonnettes. Decorative wrought-iron and brass lectern (1872), railings and chancel overthrow. Forked brass candlesticks retained in pews. Scrolled foliate wrought-iron posts to timber communion rail with gilding. Minton tiles by reredos. Triparite, gabled and cusped reredos with marble colonnettes and stencilled decoration. Bipartite pointed arch sedilia with marble nook-shafts. Organ by Harston and Son, Newark on Trent. Stained glass; Our Lady blessing children with Scottish Saints to E window; Benedicite Omnia Opera in W window by French artist. Hooded ashlar angle chimneypiece to timber-boarded vestry. GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble and squared and snecked whinstone rubble walls, stepped at intervals, with saddleback red sandstone coping. Ashlar gatepiers to E corner pier to NE, with gabled caps and trefoil motif.
Statement of Special Interest
Listed category a for complete survival of fine furnishings. The manse is listed separately below. All Saints was commissioned as a private Chapel, by Edward J Stopford Blair of Penninghame House. The foundation stone was laid in 1871, it was consecrated 1872, and bequeathed to the Diocese in 1885. The altar ornaments were bequeathed by Sir Thomas Dick Lauder, the lectern and font by the Earl of Galloway. There is a strong similarity between details employed here and those used by Frederick Thomas Pilkington.
All Saints Church, Challoch, Information sheet at church. Episcopal Church Yearbook (1889) p151.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.