Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

MILLISLE, SORBIE PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) AND CHURCHYARDLB19179

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
17/12/1979
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Sorbie
NGR
NX 46790 46362
Coordinates
246790, 546362

Description

1874-1876. Gothic cruciform church with tower to W. Rubble walling with polished sandstone quoins and chamfered margins. 3-bay nave with single bay transepts and chancel. Geometrical tracery to 4-light and rose gable windows, trefoiled lancets to nave. Mainly small pane glazing, some stained glass. End skews, ceramic ridge cresting, cross finials to gables, slate roofs. Tower in 3 squat stages with pointed-arch porch with nook shafts at ground, lancets above and tall pyramidal slate roof with bracketed eaves to 3rd. String courses between stages. Single storey presbytery adjoins to SE.

INTERIOR: reconstructed 1938. En suite limed oak pulpit, communion table, lectern and choir stalls. 2 aisles to nave. Open ceiling with braces crossed at centre. Whitewashed walls. Honeycomb lead glazing pattern with coloured, translucent glass. Stained glass: McEachern Memorial window, Christopher Whall, circa 1915, on founding of the Celtic church; by the communion table, circa 1873, The Ascension; single light, post 1925, St Paul. Organ: brought from Cally palace, Stewartry. Walled churchyard with simple square burial vault to NE of churchyard. Rubble with squared quoins.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Also known as Millisle Church. The McEacharn window is an important example of the work of Whall (1849-1924), among whose pupils were Douglas and Veronica Strachan. The original drawings of the window can be seen in the National Gallery, London.

References

Bibliography

Groome's GAZETTEER>

THE MEMORIAL WINDOW (unpublished).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MILLISLE, SORBIE PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) AND CHURCHYARD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/12/2019 07:33