Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
Old Machar
NJ 92354 9838
392354, 809838


Mid 19th century, after 1859 (see REFERENCES). Principal 5-bay, 2-storey asymmetrical block, roughly rectangular on plan with shorter E and W elelevations, entrance to E; single storey wing extending N from E side. Asymmetrical gabled elevations, harled with undressed grey granite margins; gabletted dormer-headed windows to main block, with fleur-de-lys cusped timber bargeboards; pitched slated roof with deeply overhanging eaves, asymmetrical coped wallhead stacks; 4-pane sash and case glazing pattern.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay main block to left, gabled bay projecting at right with entrance porch further projecting at centre, narrow lights flanking; porch of grey polished ashlar, E-facing pointed arched entrance, single narrow lights to flanks, parapet and ball-finials raised over angles.

Single 4-pane sash and case window at 2nd floor over porch in gable. 2 bays set-back to left, inner bay with dormer-headed window breaking eaves; chimneybreast to outer (left hand) bay also breaking eaves into triangular gable, in turn breaking into wallhead stack above. Single storey wing set back to right, with slightly advanced 3-light bay window to left in angle, 3-light to right.

S ELEVATION: advanced and recessed wall planes, 2-storey gabled bays projecting to either end and centre, set-back 2-storey bays with gabletted, dormer-headed windows breaking eaves in between. 3-light and 2-light windows in timber mullions, 1st floor windows in advanced gables also transomed.

N (SUBSIDIARY) ELEVATION: formerly to rear, now more prominent. Asymmetrical openings, flat-roofed stair projection in NE re-entrant angle and timber mullioned and transomed stair window to right on N elevation of main block; smaller square windows with 4-pane sash and case glazing close-up at eaves at 2nd floor.

Statement of Special Interest

The Valuation Roll for 1864-65 names Danestone in the estate of Major John Paton, Occupier Captain Nares, RN; although John Crombie of J & J Crombie's tweed mill (of Grandholme Works, nearby) seems also to have lived in the house, probably later. (Information courtesy of Aberdeen District Council).



A "Plan of the Grandholme Mills and Lands Divided into Lots for Sale", 1859 by James F Beattie, Landsurveyor (in private ownership), shows Danestone and adjacent steading which appear to pre-date both the house as it appears in the OS 1st edition map of 1869 (sheet LXXV), and the house as it appears now (1992).

This house is listed in the DIRECTORY OF GENTLEMEN'S SEATS IN SCOTLAND, 1857 edition (published Edinburgh, Sutherland and Knox). The present house may survive as a reduced version of the larger L-plan composition shown on the 1869 OS map.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DANESTONE HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/06/2020 01:22