Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

FALSIDE CASTLE WITH OUTBUILDING AND RETAINING WALLSLB19070

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
05/02/1971
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Parish
Tranent
NGR
NT 37769 70978
Coordinates
337769, 670978

Description

15th century 4-storey keep, enlarged into mansion with L-plan addition to S in 16th century; substantially restored, Ian S Parsons, 1982-5; D H Moran, builder. Various windows re-opened and others inserted in course of restoration, in sympathetic manner. Sited on high ground (Falside Hill). Freestone rubble, partly coursed in earlier work, with oyster shell pinning; ashlar dresing repairs and brick rebuilding with white harling 1982-5.

15TH CENTURY KEEP: rectangular-plan, circa 30 x 39 feet. 4th storey vaulted. Crenellated parapet walk to wallhead and crowstepped, gabled cap-house to NE angle. Round arched doorway in N elevation. Minimum of openings at ground, irregularly placed arrow slit windows and fewer larger windows in upper floors, some altered in 17th century, bearing backset margins and chamfered arrises.

INTERIOR: mural stair leading to 1st floor to left of door, turnpike above 1st floor; pit dungeon; flagstones; stone corbels retained.

16TH CENTURY ADDITION: to S elevation of keep. Relieving arches to windows; quirk-edged roll mouldings. Door in W elevation (surround renewed, 1982) with square panel above. Chamfered angle to SW, corbelled to square above. Round tower set in re-entrant angle, mitred above ground floor on rectangular base. S elevation symmetrical; crowstepped, gabled centre bay with window to each of 3 upper floors

and gablehead stack; borbelled angle turrets with candle-snuffer roofs. Sizeable set-off wallhead stack to E elevation, flanked by windows breaking eaves in modern gabled dormerheads, 1 dated 1982, 1 bearing initials TMC CHH. 2 further such gabled dormerheads to W elevations.

INTERIOR: not seen (1989).

Multi-pane glazing patterns. Grey slates.

OUTBUILDING: rectangular plan, single storey, gabled outbuilding, sited to N of castle; freestone rubble; much altered, with red and grey corrugated sheet metal roof.

RETAINING WALL: largely renewed, 1982. Freestone rubble with rubble coping, adjoined to castle.

Statement of Special Interest

Built by the Fawside family and known over the centuries as Faswside, Fallside and Fa'side. The Battle of Pinkie was fought on the fields below. A 17th century house formerly stood closeby to SE. Restored for T M Craig, from 1982.

References

Bibliography

RCAHMS INVENTORTY No 193.

MacGibbon and Ross CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC Vol I, pp409-13.

J Drummond Drawings 1847 held at NMRS.

A Archer Drawings, 1834, held at NMRS.

Strutt and Parker Sale Catalogue, October 1985.

RCAHMS survey plans, 1978, at NMRS.

P McNeill TRANENT AND ITS SURROUNDINGS (1883) p149-54.

SCOTTISH PORTRAIT September 1985, pp10-11.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to FALSIDE CASTLE WITH OUTBUILDING AND RETAINING WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/09/2019 03:37