Almost certainly Peddie and Kinnear, dated 1865. 2-storey L-plan Baronial villa with single storey service wing. Stugged cream sandstone, squared and snecked, with plain, droved and stugged ashlar dressings. Base course; crowsteps and beak skewputts; stone mullions. 1st floor windows breaking eaves in steeply pitched gabled dormerheads.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: doorway set in round tower in re-entrant angle; moulded surround with fleuron and hoodmould voerstepping blank
armourial panel above; boarded door and plate glass fanlight; hoodmould over narrow 1st floor window; steep candle-snuffer roof with lead flashing and ball finial. Gabled wing advanced to left with window to each floor. Narrow hall and stair windows flanking tower to right, and window to each bay to outer right.
S ELEVATION: 3 irregular bays, outer bay to right gables; 2 bipartite windows at ground; 3 1st floor windows. Sizeable, ornate armorial panel set between 1st floor windows to left.
W ELEVATION: double gabled with window to each floor of each bay and carved panels in gableheads, date to right panels, initials to left. Gablehead stacks.
E ELEVATION: gabled bay to left with window to each floor; tall single storey, gabled service wing projecting at left, with lower piend-roofed block adjoined to E, possibly an earlier structure, altered on incorporation 1865.
Small-pane glazing pattern in sash and case windows. Grey slates. Ashlar coped ashlar stacks.
INTERIOR: winding cantilevered stair with decorative cast-iron balustrade. Hoseshoe grates in angle chimneypiece to bedrooms.
GATEPIERS AND GARDEN WALLS: corniced ashlar gatepiers to NW of hosue, withstepped pyramidal caps. Rubble garden walls.
Statement of Special Interest
The 15th century Elphinstone Tower, in the grounds of which the 1865 house was built, was razed to the ground in 1955 owing to its dangerous condition.
Sunnyside Farmhouse, Prestonkirk Parish, East Lothian, by Peddie and kinnear, was designed in a strikingly similar manner to the present Elphinstone tower.