J and R Farquharson, 1888; substantially extended and altered circa 1910. Single storey range comprised of classrooms and main entrance set at an oblique angle. Squared and snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings; cill course and cornice. Harled at rear. Playground terrace to S, later buildings to N.
ENTRANCE: 3-bay ashlar classical composition; Gibbsian round-arched doorway in pedimented bay flanked by engaged columns; deep parapet; modern door inserted. Flanking bays with round arched windows in Gibbsian surrounds. Square bellcote with apron to roofline above, currently blocked, with cornice, ogival lead roof and weathervane.
17 bays to E arm of range, to right of entrance bays, with 5 pairs gabled and breaking eaves, with round arched windowa, alternating with smaller ashlar windows in intervening bays; 3 centre gables with small windows in apex, that at centre circular; round arched caps to finials of gables flanking centre. Single gabled bay to right of entrance. E return elevation gabled, with flagpole on stone bracket at apex. Short 5-bay arm to left of entrance bays, at W, comprised of 2 paired and gabled bays, and 1 single, in simpler variant of those detailed above.
Timber mullioned and transomed windows with top-hopper panes. Ashlar coping to skews. Purple slates.
RETAINING WALLS, PIERS AND RAILINGS: rubble terrace walls rising into coped parapet, to playground to S of principal range; square ashlar, corniced gatepiers. Decorative wrought-iron gates and simple railings.
Statement of Special Interest
The original school of 1888 was small and much of what is now visible dates from the later, second phase of work. This work was possbily designed by J A Carfrae, who was responsible for several fine school commissions in East Lothian about this date, such as Direlton Primary School, and the additions to Knox Academy, Haddington. The later work was certainly designed by the same architect as Longniddry School, with which it shares a house style.