Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

ORMISTON, THE OLD HALL, ADJOINING BUILDINGS, FORMER STABLE RANGE AND WALLED GARDENLB19066

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
05/02/1971
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Parish
Ormiston
NGR
NT 41123 67636
Coordinates
341123, 667636

Description

THE OLD HALL: early 17th century. Near symmetrical, L-plan 2-storey range, probably incorporating earlier fragments. Rubble with large stone quoins; roll-moulded, arched doorway, and altered roll-moulded window at rear. Vaulted cellars, substantially rebuilt above, probably in later 18th century. 3 vaulted chambers. Wide stone newel stair, originally continuing further up. 3 uneven bays with forestair to SW of kitchen with forestair to courtyard. Further extension of SE with large wallhead stack.

SE wing: 2 bays extended from corner with round arched former cart arch. 3 additional bays to SE with central forestair, all 1st floor windows gabletted. Single storey pantiled rear extention. All extentions rubble built, variations in execution, with large quoin stones. Slate roofs.

STABLE RANGE: converted to domestic range. Comprised of blocks of various ages, as Old Hall above. SW section circa 1805 (described on plan as new stables). 2 near symmetrical blocks each 3-bay with central door and 1 loft opening above. 7-bay range to NE, circa 1800, with 3 low segmental arches and small windows above.

12-pane glazing pattern predominating in sash and case windows. Grey-green slates; ashlar coped skews. Skylights added to stable range.

WALLED GARDEN: remains of rubble walls of large L-plan walled garden to SE, containing ancient yew tree, with branches re-rooted (similar in age to that at Whittingehame Tower); John Knox and George Wishart ae said to have preached under the arbour thus created.

Statement of Special Interest

Curtain wall remains of the latter Hall, lie to E, built by John Baxter, 1745-8, extended by Alexander Steven and George Tod, 1772 and further enlarged in ealry 19th century. Walled garden which accompanied the later house, is listed separately, as are Belsis Cottage (gardiner's house), the North and South Lodges and the Dovecot. The ruins of St Giles Kirk (former parish church are currently scheduled and lie to SW of original hall. The Old Hall was built by the Cockburn family, and presumably was deserted and converted to offices when the new Hall was built circa 1745, by John Cockburn. In 1748 the lands passed to the Earls of Hopetoun. It was John Cockburn who planned Ormiston as a model village from 1730.

References

Bibliography

RCAHMS INVENTORY NO 131.

Theo Lang EDINBURGH AND THE LOTHIANS (1953) p226.

T Dick Lauder SCOTTISH RIVERS (1890) pp300-1.

N Tranter THE FORTIFIED HOUSE IN SCOTLAND vol 1 (1962) pp46-7.

W Y Whitehead HISTORY OF ORMISTON (1937), pp104-120.

SRO Plan of Ormiston Hall policies, early 19th century.

RHP 12989.

SRO Floor plans of Old Ormiston Hall, 1805, RHP 13006-9.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ORMISTON, THE OLD HALL, ADJOINING BUILDINGS, FORMER STABLE RANGE AND WALLED GARDEN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/07/2020 05:41