Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 45351 35047
345351, 735047


Earlier 19th century. 2-storey, T-plan farmhouse. Coursed and squared stugged rubble sandstone with some snecking, margined ashlar dressings, grey slate roof. 12-pane sash and case windows, some blind with painted astragals, out-of-character timber replacements of various designs at side elevations; eaves course at S elevation; piended roofs; tall wallhead stacks.

S ELEVATION: symmetrical. Panelled door at centre with plain fanlight and moulded cornice approached by 3 steps, window at left and right,

3 windows at 1st floor.

E ELEVATION: advanced bays at left with 12-pane window at ground floor left, blind window at 1st floor, window at ground and 1st floor right; recessed wing at right with door and 3 windows at ground floor (centre window formed from blocked door), 3 windows at 1st, blind at centre; right return gable is blank with lean-to at ground floor (corrugated asbestos roof).

W ELEVATION: advanced bays at right with 12-pane window at ground floor right, blind at left and above right, modern glazing to window at top left; recessed wing at left with 2 windows at ground and 1st floor, small stone addition in re-entrant.

INTERIOR: foliate cornices and ceiling roses in principal rooms, some original chimneypieces and shutters; decorative cast-iron balusters; remains of box bed at 1st floor of service wing.

BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble boundary walls at S and W.

Statement of Special Interest

Westhall is shown on Edward?s 1678 map. The farmhouse and steading (cartshed and granary listed) are shown on the 1858 OS map. This building replaced an earlier farmhouse, probably that to the north listed as Old Farmhouse.



OS map 1858; Map of Angus in Robert Edward, A DESCRIPTION OF THE COUNTY OF ANGUS (1678), reprinted in Alexander J Warden, ANGUS OF FORFARSHIRE (1881), vol II.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WESTHALL FARM, FARMHOUSE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/10/2019 07:48