Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

POWRIE, SOUTH POWRIE FARMHOUSE, INCLUDING PRIVY AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB19020

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
10/12/1991
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Parish
Murroes
NGR
NO 42188 34624
Coordinates
342188, 734624

Description

Post 1805. 2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse, made L-plan by earlier 19th century addition of 2-storey service wing with lower roof pitch; single storey dairy abutting at E. Privy probably 17th century and formerly part of the barmkin of Powrie Castle. Pink and grey rubble sandstone, harled at gable apex at E, grey slate roof. Windows originally 12-pane sash and case (now only at 1st floor), mostly 2- and 4-pane at ground floor; windows at S have raised margins, margined ashlar elsewhere; ashlar coped skews with skewblocks at W gable, brick stacks.

W ELEVATION: door in single storey, piend roofed porch in re-entrant with raised ashlar margins and narrow fanlight window with similar margins at left return; porch abutts 2-bay service wing with 16-pane window at ground floor left, small modern window at right, 2 windows at 1st floor;l advanced gable of main house at right with window at ground and 1st floor left, 2 arrowslit ventilators at attic, stair window at left return elevation.

S ELEVATION: 3 widely spaced bays, symmetrical. Modern plate-glazed door at centre (originally main door) with cast-iron railed, stone forestairs, window at left enlarged as timber mullioned and canted window at right, each replacing original single window, 3 original windows at 1st floor.

E ELEVATION: door at ground floor right; single storey dairy projecting at centre with cut down gable stack, 3 windows to left return (outer 2 with security bars), door to right return; window at 1st floor, blank gable of service wing at far right return.

INTERIOR: 2 original chimneypieces at 1st floor. Dairy has original stone shelves.

PRIVY: sizeable, rectangular-plan, rubble-built shed known as a privy, almost completely overgrown with ivy, situated at W boundary with Powrie Castle; door at E.

BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble boundary walls at N, S and E.

Statement of Special Interest

South Powrie Farm is not shown on the 1805 plan but appears on the 1859 map. See also NOTES and REFERENCES for Powrie Castle and Old Powrie Castle.

References

Bibliography

John Walker, land surveyor, Forfar, PLAN OF POWRIE< PART OF THE LANDED ESTATE OF COL ALEXANDER OGILVY FOTHRINGHAM OF POWRIE (1805), (in the possession of Mr E Pate, South Powrie Farm);

OS Map 1859.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to POWRIE, SOUTH POWRIE FARMHOUSE, INCLUDING PRIVY AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/08/2019 23:30