Principally 18th century;farmhouse and mill complex some elements may be earlier,much altered.Listed primarily for its historic interest as the home of Andrew Meikle (1719-1811),the inventor of the water powered threshing machine.
Farmhouse:2-storey.3-bay house,with later wing added to left,and modern additions adjoining both gables.Rubble,with raised ashlar margins,probably formerly harled;gables harled.Modern glazing,purple slates to main house,red pantiles to additions,harled stacks.
Front (NW) elevation:later 19th century gabled porch at centre,windows flanking.3 windows at 1st floor.Modern slated conservatory addition to right,single storey wing to left adjoining harled,modern advanced addition:Rear:2 windows at ground floor,enlarged at right to glazed doors,3 windows at 1st floor.
Mill and Steading:to NW,much altered.Range of single storey buildings running SE-NE,one now in use as a cottage,centre range as a byre,2 storey mill terminating range to NE.Rubble,with brick alterations,some original openings with brick lintels.Breast-shot waterwheel formerly to NE gable (does not survive) with window above to 1st floor.E elevation much altered:now with large slapping.Corrugated sheet metal roof.
Statement of Special Interest
Houston Mill is of considerable historic importance as the documented home of Andrew Meikle,who lived there from about 1750 until 1783.Meikle was born in East Lothian,the son of millwright James Meikle.He and his brother Robert followed their father's profession.Andrew the first threshing machine in 1776 which was patented at nearby Knowes Mill in 1788,revolutionsighing the preparation of corn for milling.Houston Mill is also associated with the great Scottish engineer,John Rennie,who lived at Phantassie,half a mile away,and was an apprentice at Andrew Meikle's millwright shop at Houston Mill from 1773-5 and 1777-9.Andrew Meikle's achievement is commemorated on his tombstone in Prestonkirk kirkyard.