Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

PARKHILL PUMPING STATION, INCLUDING PUMPING HOUSE, LADE AQUEDUCT AND TANKSLB18957

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
20/02/1991
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
New Machar
NGR
NJ 88819 14822
Coordinates
388819, 814822

Description

Dated 1898. Pumping station consisting of 2-storey and attic, 3-bay pumping house built against terraced earth bank,with lade carried on an aqueduct adjoining at rear; large T-plan water tanks to SE. Mass concrete construction. Aqueduct of mass concrete, probably with some metal re-inforcement (see Notes).

PUMPING HOUSE: symmetrical, 3 bays. Moulded string course at ground floor stepped around central carved and dated crest. Shallow arched window openings. Central segmental-arched opening at ground, now blocked; flanked by paired windows, that to right changed to entrance; evidence of later single storey pitched roof porch (now removed). 2 windows at 1st floor. Canted attic dormers. Pair of entrances with boarded timber doors at 1st floor of W gable. Predominantly timber sash and case windows. Pitched roof, grey slates, straight skews, coped stacks with octagonal clay cans.

INTERIOR (partially seen 2012): 2 turbine pumps at ground floor (1 original).

LADE AND AQUEDUCT (at NJ 88812 814831): 2 concrete arches adjoined to N (rear) elevation of pumping house supporting bellied lade, corbelled to S; adjoined at a right angle to aqueduct spanning to that in channelled earth bank to N; aqueduct with vaulted base. Retaining wall to bank.

WATER TANKS (at NJ 88843 14815): circa 1898. Large T-plan, flat-roofed concrete tanks sited on falling ground to SE of house.

Statement of Special Interest

Parkhill Pumping Station is a rare and distinctive example of a late 19th small-scale pumping station. The design of the building utilises the natural change in levels of the landscape for hydraulic power and the distinctive aqueduct is unusually adjoined to the rear elevation to give the appearance of a single structure. This collection of buildings form a functional grouping that are a prominent feature in the landscape.

It is probable that the lade and aqueduct have been constructed with some form of metal reinforcement in order to strengthen the structure and achieve the span. It is possibly one of the earliest uses of reinforced concrete in Scotland, predating the Sentinel Works, Glasgow (1903-04) the Lion Chambers, Glasgow (1904-08), and the Aluminium Works at Kinlochleven (1905-1909) (see separate listings).

The pumping station pumped 650-750 cubic metres (max 1700 cubic metres) of water daily from the Kennel Park and Arieburn Springs uphill to the Lower Overton Reservoir to supply water for the village of Dyce. The turbine pumps were originally water powered. Water was diverted from the Goval Burn at Bridgehaugh along the lade and filtered by screens which had to be cleaned every 3 hours. In the mid 20th century the turbine pumps became powered by electricity, before the site was closed and sold in the late 20th century.

The supervisor's accommodation was originally in the upper part of the pumping station accessed by a walkway to an entrance on the W gable. In the early 20th century a separate building was constructed for the supervisor and the original accommodation became offices.

List description updated, 2012.

References

Bibliography

Evident on 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (surveyed 1899, published 1901). Information supplied by Water Services Division, Grampian Regional Council (1991). S Stirling, Stewart Early concrete buildings in Scotland, 2 vols, PhD thesis, Edinburgh: Heriot-Watt University (2001). A H Borden 'Identifying early reinforced concrete buildings in Scotland' in Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Engineering History and Heritage 163, Issue EH3 (August 2010) pp147-67. Information courtesy of owner (2012). RCAHMS, Canmore ID 164260.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PARKHILL PUMPING STATION, INCLUDING PUMPING HOUSE, LADE AQUEDUCT AND TANKS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/11/2018 09:54