There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 05/02/1971
- Local Authority: East Lothian
- Planning Authority: East Lothian
- Parish: Pencaitland
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 43815 69495
- Coordinates: 343815, 669495
William Wallace, King's Master Mason, Anglo-Scottish Renaissance mansion, 1620-1627, with large additions to N and W in tudor style,John Paterson, circa 1805. Sandstone rubble for original mansion, with white painted harling, ashlar stair towers, ashlar dressings, string
courses, moulded eaves cornice and ornate barley sugar stacks; 19th century work in sandstone ashlar with base, string and band
courses, hoodmoulded openings and crenellated parapets. 17th century mansion: L-plan, main block running E-W with NE jamb and square plan stair tower to NE; semi-octagonal stair tower set in re-entrant angle with NE jamb; ground and 1st floor of N and W elevations largely obscured by later additions. N elevation of 3 storeys, S elevation 3-storey and basement on falling ground by River Tyne. Circular stair turret adjoined of NE tower at 2nd floor in re-entrant angle with ogival leaded roof and small windows; renaissance balustrade to square 4-stage tower with strapwork ornament to cornice below, and observation platform. Semi-octagonal tower of 4 lower stages with ogival roof deliberately set askew, some decoratively cut ornate slates and glided finial. 2nd floor windows generally with pilastered rybats, some fluted and with ornate strapworked pediment, breaking eaves as dormerheads. Oval oculus in gablehead of E elevation of E-W block. Plan one room in depth with NE jamb 1-bay deep. 3 bays grouped closely at centre on S elevation with further bay to outer right. Tall, ornate barley sugar stacks in groups of 3 to 5, at gable and wallheads, with great variety of oramental carving. Crowstepped gables. 19th century additions: to N and W. Single storey and basement to N with canted 2-stage entrance bay at centre; single storey and basement to W elevation without basement recess; octagonal, crenellated towers closing each addition of 2 and 3-stages, with hoodmoulded lancets, blind in upper stages. Rectangular porch projecting from canted bay to N, with angle buttresses and moulded pointed-arch doorway. Taller windows at ground floor. Stone mullioned tripartities to W elevation at principal floor level, flanking canted bay set off-centre to left. Piend roofs behind parapets; flat, leaded roof with conical skylights above projecting entrance bay. Small and square-pane glazing patterns to sash and case windows. Grey slates.Cast-and wrought-iron balcony across principal floor to S, on coped ashlar parapet with cast-iron columns and decorative railings. Interior: outstanding 17th century decoration retained. The library (or King's Charles Room) contains the finest early 17th century plaster ceiling and a chimneypiece of large proportions bearing what was probably originally the pediment over the entrance door (moved in circa 1805); the flue is thought to have belonged to the castle which stood on the site before the work in the 1620s. The drawing room formerly the great hall of the castle includes a similarly magnificent chimneypiece and strapwork plaster ceiling; fine strapwork plaster ceilings in the bedrooms, with ornate panels.Stone wheel stairs. Tudor decoration to vaulted inner vestibule of 19th century addition; decorative plaster cavetto cornice to Dining Room, with apsidal ends; decoratively carved classical chimneypieces
.Notable fittings and furnishings, much of an early date. Gate to walled garden: probably 18th century; decorative wrought-iron gate wide side panels and overthrow crowned by fleur-de-lys finial; sited on S sited of garden. Terraces and railings: squared and snecked sandstone terrace walls to S; round-arched Renaissance balustrade to E beyond ocagonal pavilion; summer pavilion with hoodmoulded lancets and slated ogival roof, linked to house by further (different) balustraded
parapet. Decorative cast and wrough-iron railings to terraces and to basement recesses at N.
Statement of Special Interest
Renaissance work commissioned by 10th Lord Seton, extending and aggrandising a later 15th century castle; 19th century work commissioned by Colonel Hamilton. The work by William Wallace constitutes a landmark in the development of Scottish architecture after the union of the Crowns, standing as an early xample of the style developed later at Heriot's Hospital, Edinburgh, and Argyll's Lodging, Stirling,for example. The Setons were also the patrons of the outstanding work prior to Winton at Fyvie Castle and Pinkie House. The Laundry Cottage Stables and North and South Lodges are listed separately. The walled garden by the stables is not included in the current listings, but the wrought-iron gate is included above.
T Hannan Famous Scottish Houses (1928) pp 193-196.
RCAHMS Inventory no 136.
Winton House Guidebook.
C McWilliam Lothian (1978) pp472-4
History of the House of Seytoun (Maitland Club) p74-5.
Country Life 24 August 1912 pp260-267.
J Small castles and Mansions of the Lothians (1883) vol II.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.