Early 19th century. Square plan, 2-storey classical manse. Yellow sandstone squared rubble with droved grey ashlar dressings; rough pointing. Eaves course. S elevation: 3 symmetrical bays. Centre bay advanced and breaking eaves with blocking course and tablet. Corniced and pilastered doorpiece with doorway in wide segmental arch; tripartite door with decorative fanlight. Canted windows flanking at
ground, intercepting advanced bay, with cornices, and 4-centred narrow windows to splayed sides. Regular single windows above. E
elevation: 4-bay. 2 wide bays to left of centre with windows to each floor (blind window at 1st floor in outer bay); 2 bays to right of centre grouped closely with narrow windows to each floor. W elevation: 5 nearly regular bays with windows to each bay at ground and 1st floor (blind window opposite that above). N elevation: irregular. Bays left of centre advanced;door to right. Later 2-storey extension to
NE. Predominantly 12-pane glazing pattern in sash and case windows, with 4-centred pattern in side windows of canted bays. Shouldered wallhead stacks to E and W elevations. Grey slates to piend
roofs. Terrace wall: ashlar coped rubble terrace wall to S of house. Gatepiers: 2 square ashlar gatepiers with chamfered corners, and panels, and corniced caps, sited to W of manse. Stable court:
currently undergoing conversion to parish community centre (1988). L-plan court comprised of 2 irregular gabled ranges, sited to NE of manse, adjoined by common retaining wall. Cartshed and hayloft in N range, with segmental carriage arch. Former stables in E range.
Statement of Special Interest
Sizeable square plan of manse is surprising; the possibility that it was doubled in size to rear is not, however, suggested by the masonry (and the present form is shown on the 1854 OS). Furthermore, the NSA in 1839, explained "Through the kindness of the Heritors, the manse is in excellent condition, and very commodious", and Dick Lauder later continued "We have long been in the habit of considering the manse as a gem amongst clergymens residences of the same kind. Situated on the sunny slope, amid shrubberies and garden stretching down the river, it seems to be the very nest of human content".