Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
NT 44368 66808
344368, 666808


Circa 1885. 5-storey maltings adjoining to S of earlier buildings. Brick with contrasting brick margins. Set in glen of Kinchie Burn. S elevation: 7-bay; regular fenestration. Door to outer right at

ground, and at 4th floor to cantilevered bridge linking with later building adjoined to E. Clock at centre in place of 1st floor

window. Mullioned and transomed windows with shutters below, transom and small-panes above, and small-pane windows. Grey slates to piend and platform roof; ashlar coped skews. Interior: ceased to serve as maltings in 1960s, currently serving as museum space. Cast-iron columns with brackets to capitals supporting timber beams of timber

floors; cast-iron saddles. Stalk: circa 1895. Circular section terracotta brick stalk with black bands and neck. Sited to E of maltings.

Statement of Special Interest

Glenkinchie Distillery was founded circa 1837 by John and George

Rate, but full production ceased between 1853 and 1880. Between 1880 and 1881,the Glen Kinchie Distillery Company began to rebuild the

plant. Currently licensed to John Haig and Company Limited, as part of SMD Limited. The Kilns have been demolished.



M S Moss and J R Hume The Making of Scottish Whisky (1981)p239.The Whisky Distilleries of Scotland (1887) pp77-79.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GLENKINCHIE DISTILLERY,MALT BARNS (MUSEUM)AND STALK

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/09/2020 11:10