Circa 1710. 3-storey and 2-storey former millhouse, restored and millhouse reverted to residential function, N Groves Raines, post
1970. Harled rubble with ashlar dressings; chamfered and rounded arrises.
MILL: rectangular plan, piend-roofed, with 2 widely spaced bays on each long elevation. Doorway at ground each side (with window and 2 smaller glazed openings to courtyard side. Windows to both bays in upper storeys, with that above courtyard doorway enlarged. Windows at centre of SW elevation at 1st and 2nd floor level. 2-faced tablet sundial under eaves at W corner. Broad set-off wallhead stack to NW side.
DRYING KILN: set in re-entrant angle linking mill and former millhouse at right angles; lower eaves than mill, windows inserted recently; segmental pend inserted on courtyard side; sweeping eaves to piend roof with kiln vent replaced in restoration.
FORMER MILLHOUSE: low 2-storey gabled, 3-bay block with doorway at centre to courtyard, with further doorway above with timber forestair; windows in flanking bays, smaller at 1st floor. N elevation similarly 3-bay with door at centre, currently blocked as window and flanked by small windows; unfortunately wide French window arrangement inserted; regular windows to outer left and at 1st floor. W gable with stone, pentice-roofed former ingleneuk set in re-entrant angle with drying kiln, with small window; 1st floor window.
FORMER CARTSHED: adjoined to N gable of former millhouse with pedestrian doorway sensitively replacing cart entrance to courtyard, window flanking,and remaining elevations blank. Multi-panes glazing pattern and 4-pane in sash and case windows; some casement. Grey-green slates to mill and kiln; red pantiles to millhouse and garage. W end stack to millhouse. Ashlar coped skews with beak skewputts.
Statement of Special Interest
Pot barley was first milled in Scotland at this mill, after Andrew Fletcher sent James Meikle,, millwright, to Holland to observe their machinery. Adair's map (1682) shows that a mill made use of the position before the present one was built. Timber overshot wheel formerly positioned on W elevation of mill, and the course of the lade is still apparent. The mill was still in use in 1920s. Various ancillary buildings around the mill were demolished during the restoration. Barley Mill House to S, is listed separately.