Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

EAST SALTOUN, SALTOUN HILL (FORMER MANSE) WITH GATES, GATEPIERS AND RETAINING WALLSLB18886

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
05/02/1971
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Parish
Saltoun
NGR
NT 47593 67806
Coordinates
347593, 667806

Description

Robert Burn, 1802. 3-bay, 2-storey house with slightly recessed single storet wings; 1-room deep. Squared cream rubble with grey ashlar dressings and eaves course.

W ELEVATION: 3-bays grouped towards centre; corniced and architraved doorway; 2-leaf doors and fanlight; windows in flanking bays to each bay at 1st floor. Single window to wing to right, and altered to doorway with gabled hot-house on left wing.

E ELEVATION: stair window at centre; stone mullioned tripartite windows in outer bays at ground and single windows at 1st floor. 3-light flat roofed dormers. 12-pane glazing pattern in sash and case windows. Grey slates to deep pitch; ashlar skews and generous end stacks.

GATES, PIERS AND RETAINING WALLS: simple wrought-iron gates. Squared rubble piers and ashlar coped quadrant walls, leading to further retaining walls.

Statement of Special Interest

Former stable offices of manse lie to W along roadside, serving currently as Tithe Byre and Bygone Byre, and are not included in current listings. The Forrest map indicates that there was a manse of some standing, on or near site in 1799. It seems more probable that the present manse dates to the Burn work, possibly incorporating earlier fabric.

References

Bibliography

M Wyllie HISTORY OF SALTOUN AND THE FLETCHER FAMILY (1987) p14, p34. Forrest, map of Haddingtonshire, 1799. NMRS plans by Burn for court and offices.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to EAST SALTOUN, SALTOUN HILL (FORMER MANSE) WITH GATES, GATEPIERS AND RETAINING WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2019 15:57