Probably Robert Burn 1805, incorporating fragments of earlier church. Late Gothic T-plan church with 2-stage tower and stone pier. Squared, coursed, deeply droved sandstone. Lancet windows; aprons to 2- and 3-lights; stone mullions with impost bands; chamfered reveals and hoodmoulds to openings; corbelled and crenellated parapet with diminutive pinnacles and crocketted bartizans at corners.
E-W BODY OF THE CHURCH: doorway (2-leaf doors) on E gable, in pointed arch recessed panel with moulded surround; 2 blind quatrefoils in circular panels flanking entrance bay and louvred in gablehead behind parapet. W gable detailed similarly. 3-light windows on N and S returns to E and W of tower.
N JAMB (SALTOUN AISLE): with Fletcher vault below. N gable with 3-light window flanked by quatrfoil panes with further quartrefoil in gablehead. Fletcher vault advanced and with pointed arch panels; decorative stone balustrade above with fleur-de-lys, blank tablet and panelled dies by steps to E and W. Return elevations each 3-bay with single lancets at centre (with doorway below on W return) flanked by 2-light windows. TOWER: adjoined at centre of S elevation. Square plan, 2-stage, 99' high; impost course, diagonal guilloche and band courses. 3-light to S flanked by quatrefoil and with memorial dedication panel above. Single lancets to E and W return elevations. S, E and W elevations each with clock set (post 1876) in square, hoodmoulded panel in upper stage; Roman numerals; octagonal stone spire with 3 tiers of 4 quatrefoil lucarnes; simple finial. Bell of 1806. Burial plots noted by alphabetical inscriptions on quoins.
INTERIOR: remodelled 1885, possibly by John Lessells, galleries removed, boarded to dado, and coomb ceiling. Vestry at foot of tower with doorway to left of pulpit. Decorative canopy to panelled pulpit.Stained glass in 3-light windows, 1 of the Trinity, post 1944.
GRAVEYARD WALLS AND RAILINGS: rubble coped rubble retaining walls.
Some fine 18th century gravestones and classical burial enclosure. Decorative wrought-iron railings adjoined to Fletcher vault and extending N; variety of fine finials.
Statement of Special Interest
Robert Burn is known to have built the manse at East Saltoun in 1803, and to have worked at Saltoun Hall in the same year, making his authorship of the church quite probable. Armstrong's map of Haddingtonshire, 1773, indicates that the position of the earlier church was used for the new, confirming the signs of earlier fragments.