Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
NT 55658 72597
355658, 672597


1724, with Dalrymple Aisle, circa 1730, and bellcote of

1685, incorporated from earlier church. Rubble red sandstone, harl pointed; ashlar dressings; classical frontage to N, Dalrymple Aisle in white ashlar. Body of church: 4-bays to S with round arched keystone openings; doorway in outer right bay, with semi-circular fanlight and 2-leaf doors; windows in remaining bays, that to outer left blocked from former doorway; stone with banded carving incorporated from earlier structure, inserted to left of present doorway. Steeply pitched gables to E and W, that to E blank with ventilation windows, corniced burial enclosure adjoined at ground and bellcote at apex. N elevation blank with Aisle projecting at centre. Bellcote and bell: birdcage

bellcote, 1685, in stone with cornice and ogival stone

cap; thackstones. Bell cast in 1681, dated, and with inscription "Sir James Stansfield Donum Eius". Dalrymple Aisle: circa 1730, dwarfing body of church, with higher eaves cornice and base course. Classical ashlar frontage applied to N gable with tripartite

arrangement, rusticated quoins and base course; raised bay at centre with Gibbsian doorpiece; 2-leaf panelled doors; simply panel above and in flanking bays at ground; 2 Gibbsian windows lighting loft, sharing cornice with centre bay; corniced and richly carved armorial panel above at centre, with segmental pediment and curved mouldings flanking to link windows below. Die or squat stack above. Loft no longer accessible from interior, only by stone forestair and doorway on E return, and lit by further window on W return. Decorative leaded pattern to round arched windows; 12-pane glazing pattern to Dalrymple Aisle in sash and case windows. Grey slates. Early skew form to original church; ashlar coping to Aisle. Interior: plain; boarded dado, painted plaster and coombed ceiling. Centre aisle. Panelled surround to

doorway. Suitable 18th century style communion table and pulpit.

Centre lights in coronet form. Etched window at W end, of Celtic Cross. Graveyard walls: substantial rubble, harl pointed boundary

walls, including to W, outer wall of former manse offices, now residential; bee bole in 1 corner. Selection of much-weathered gravestones with memento mori and artisan classical form.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.Rec James Forsyth,minister,writing in 1837,in the NSA,commented sweepingly that Morham should be annihilated or augmented as it was too small to justify the status of an independent parish,being wasteful of Church of Scotland funds.Morham is the smallest parish in East Lothain.Interior of Dalrymple Aisle not seen (1988),The dick Peddie and Mackay plans probably refer to the interior re-furbishment and blocking of entrance to Dalrymple Loft from the interior of the church.



RCAHMS Inventory no 98.David Louden History of Morham (1989) pp28-31.Dick Peddie andMackay plans 1923.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MORHAM PARISH CHURCH WITH GRAVEYARD WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/07/2019 08:59