Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

PIEROWALL, WESTRAY BAPTIST CHURCH, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLLB18806

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
30/03/2001
Local Authority
Orkney Islands
Planning Authority
Orkney Islands
Parish
Westray
NGR
HY 43582 48548
Coordinates
343582, 1048548

Description

1850 with small addition to S. 3-bay; rectangular-plan; main block; with rectangular-plan porch centred at E (entrance) elevation forming overall-Tplan; narrower; lower-height addition to S extended to rear (W) late 20th century. Plain symmetrical Baptist church with piended gablets. Harled with stone dressings. Coped gables.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: finialled gable end of porch projects to centre; window to front; entrances with boarded timber doors to both returns. Large flanking windows set back to main body of church. Lower height addition set back to right; 3 windows (central one originally entrance).

W ELEVATION: small lean-to addition projects to centre. Large flanking windows to main body of church. Small late 20th century flat-roofed extension (to earlier S addition) projects to right.

N ELEVATION: blank gable end.

S ELEVATION: gable end of lower height addition projects to centre; small late 20th century flat-roofed extension adjoins to left. 2 small flanking windows (originally taller) set back to main body of church.

Mainly 12-pane timber sash and case windows to main body of church; multi-pane fixed timber frames elsewhere. Caithness slate roof laid in diminishing courses.

INTERIOR: later 20th century suspended ceiling to main body of church. Boarded timber dado, pews, screen wall to rear of raised platform with lectern and window shutters (all probably dating from latter half of 19th century).

BOUNDARY WALL: coursed rubble with rounded rubble coping; encloses large rectangular-plan plot of land to E.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. A plain largely intact mid 19th century dissenting chapel, serving as a local landmark both architecturally and historically. Although there are no dissenting chapels mentioned in 'The Old Statistical Account' (1795), there were two (Anabaptist and Secession) by the time of 'The New Statistical Account' of 1845. This building would have been the successor to that of the Anabaptists, who, by the time of Groome's 'Gazeteer' had become known as the Baptists (he gives a date of 1807 for their chapel, presumably meaning their foundation/original chapel). It appears as 'Baptist Chapel' on the 1881 OS map.

References

Bibliography

THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, VOL 16 (1795) p254; THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, VOL XV (1845) p130; 1st Edition County Series OS MAP (1881); Francis H Groome, AN ORDNANCE GAZETEER OF SCOTLAND, VOL V1 (1885) p481; Leslie Burgher, ORKNEY, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1991) p97; John Gifford, THE HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS in the 'Buildings of Scotland' series (1992) p350; LEAFLET produced by Westray's Churches ('Welcome to Westray's Kirks', circa 2000).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PIEROWALL, WESTRAY BAPTIST CHURCH, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/08/2019 23:38