Late 18th/early 19th century. Former small mansion, now 3
2 rectangular-plan blocks arranged in L-plan, forming 2 sides
of a courtyard, latter closed at north by pair of
pyramidal-roofed square-plan outbuildings (entry between);
wall to east with corniced square gatepiers. Harled. West
range probably built first; 3-bay courtyard elevation,
asymmetrical west elevation has off-centre piended porch,
upper windows with piended dormer heads; taller south range
with 6-bay south front, 2 doors to courtyard, one in piended
timber porch, attic dormers above. Mainly 12-pane sash
windows. Corniced end and axial stacks; straight skews; slate
Outbuildings each single storey with attic 2-bay north
elevation, coped apex stacks. Extensive range of walled
gardens to east and small enclosure to west; all rubble
built, with pitched coping.
Statement of Special Interest
The writer in the NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (p.188) states that
the stones of the former nunnery were re-used in building
Clanranald's mansion and offices.
Became Clan Ranald's seat after 1715 when Ormaclett was
burned, until 1839 when the estate was sold (Thomson, THE
UISTS & BARRA, 1974. p.82).