Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CLEAT FARM INCLUDING DOOCOTLB18730

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
08/12/1971
Local Authority
Orkney Islands
Planning Authority
Orkney Islands
Parish
Westray
NGR
HY 46430 46809
Coordinates
346430, 1046809

Description

Possibly early 18th century doocot; early 19th century farm. Linear range of single storey farm workers' cottages, terminating with earlier lectern doocot to W, and courtyard-plan of farm buildings to E. Rubble flagstone walls, harling remains in places.

DOOCOT

Central doorway to S (principal) elevation. Continuous flight ledge above; 2 rectangular openings; remains of 2 arched flight holes in right opening. Projecting eaves cornice above. Plain W elevation; crowsteps. Small opening inserted (now blocked up) in N elevation ground floor, to left. Attached to adjacent garage to E. Missing slate roof. Stone partitions for nest boxes remain inside. Opening in rear suggests later re-use of building; possibly to house other farm animals.

FARM WORKERS' COTTAGES

Long range of 4-5 cottages, facing S. Large inserted opening to building (now garage) to right of doocot. 4-bay cottage to right; window, door, window, door arrangement. Rendered, renovated cottage to right; door to left; flanking left window. Door to right; flanking windows; opening to far right. Cottage to right; central door to left section; window to right. Door to right and far right; inserted sliding door to centre of right section. Terminating 3-bay cottage to far right; fenestration not seen. Plain gable wall to E. Rear of range not seen.

Pitched roofs; stone slate to all apart from modern slate to renovated cottage and corrugated asbestos to E end cottage. Right gable end stack stump to garage; ridge and right gable end stack to renovated cottage; ridge stack to cottage to right; gable end stacks to far right cottage. Flat skews between cottages; 5 flat skews to cottage to right of garage. Low rubble wall to front of E cottage.

COURTYARD-PLAN STEADING

Symmetrical 5-bay building, possible stable/byre to W of yard entrance. Door to S (principal) elevation; flanking windows; window (former door) to right; window to far right. Blocked window to left in E gable wall; muck drainage hole to right. Central attic window in W gable wall. Rear elevation not seen. Pitched, stone slate roof; crowstepped gables; 5 flat skews. Linear animal shed range to rear. W elevation: window (former door) to left; door to right. Pitched, stone slate roof; crowstepped gables; N gable end stack. Single storey former stables/byre to E of yard entrance. Plain W elevation; 3 windows to S elevation; large, inserted doors to E gable; door to N elevation and later attached shed. Crowstepped gables; pitched, stone slate roof. Linear range to N; blocked S gable end loft window. 3 windows and muck drainage hole to left section, E elevation. 4 windows to right; single loft window. Forestair to far right leads to adjoining narrow shed; doorway below. Later addition of low shed obscures W elevation of range. Crowstepped gables and skews; stone slate roof to S section; corrugated asbestos to N. N range of yard; large sliding doors to E gable; central window (former door) in S elevation; pitched roof; modern corrugated sheet. Piended addition to W; modern corrugated sheet. Advanced shed to W; door to left; stone slate roof; piended to W; pitched to E.

ANCILLARY STRUCTURES

Small field to NW of doocot; flagstone rubble walls. Lean-to potato shed to N wall; central door; flanking windows. Stone platforms for haystacks.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with Cleat. Cleat belonged to the Stewarts of nearby Brough House (see separate list). The Stewart family owned the Brough Estate from around the end of the 16th century until the middle of the 19th century. According to RCAHMS, tradition places the site of a chapel and burial ground in a small paddock immediately N of the farm buildings. Human remains have been found and a decorated bone comb found in a kitchen midden deposit; suggesting a settlement site. The farm group and house have remained intact, including the stone platforms upon which the hay would be stacked and the only substantial doocot on Westray.

References

Bibliography

M Mackenzie, THE NORTH WEST COAST OF ORKNEY, 1750; A Arrowsmith, ORKNEY ISLANDS, SHETLAND ISLANDS, 1807; 1st Edition 25" OS Map (LXXV.16), 1881; RCAHMS, THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITES AND MONUMENTS OF SCOTLAND, 19, PAPA WESTRAY AND WESTRAY, 1983, p36; L Burgher, ORKNEY, 1991, p96.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CLEAT FARM INCLUDING DOOCOT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2019 19:46