Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

REAWICK, REAWICK CONGREGATIONAL CHURCHLB18694

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
18/10/1977
Local Authority
Shetland Islands
Planning Authority
Shetland Islands
Parish
Sandsting
NGR
HU 31629 44817
Coordinates
431629, 1144817

Description

Dated 1863. Symmetrical hall church comprised of hall oriented E-W with gabled entrance porch and vestry to E and pulpit recess to W forming cruciform plan. Harled rubble walls.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical, 2-bay gabled entrance porch and vestry advanced at centre, lancets in each bay with date stone between, gabled bellcote on rectangular plinth at apex; angle buttresses at corners and pointed-arched doors in side elevations (N door infilled); blank elevation of hall to right and left.

N AND S ELEVATIONS: symmetrical 2-bay gables with lancets in each bay and triangular vent in gablehead.

W ELEVATION: symmetrical, 2-bay gable advanced at centre, pointed- arched windows with chamfered arrises in each bay; triangular vent centred in gablehead; blank elevation of hall to left and right.

11-pane fixed-lights to lancets, border-glazed W windows with coloured glass. Grey slate roof with harled skew copes.

INTERIOR: timber pews with wide horizontal boards; vertically-boarded high back and panelled ends to pew centred at rear. Panelled timber pulpit on platform to W; organ of 1906 by W Doherty & Co of Canada centred to E; panelled enclosure with cast-iron and timber balustrade.

Statement of Special Interest

In ecclesiastical use. This crisply designed church is prominently sited overlooking Skelda Voe.

References

Bibliography

John Gifford HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (1992) p475.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to REAWICK, REAWICK CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 16:58