Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

HOLLAND DOVECOT, TO SOUTH WEST OF HOLLAND FARMLB18601

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
08/12/1971
Local Authority
Orkney Islands
Planning Authority
Orkney Islands
Parish
Papa Westray
NGR
HY 48752 51478
Coordinates
348752, 1051478

Description

Probably early-mid 18th century. Rectangular-plan lectern dovecot; formerly with crowstepped gables (top courses of walls partially missing). Harled coursed rubble. Rat ledge below eaves to lower height S elevation; continued at slightly higher level to remaining elevations. 2 square flight holes above ledge to E side. Entrance to E side. Nesting ledges inside; remains of some brick divisions (for nesting boxes). Roof missing.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with Holland House, Walled Garden, Pair of Storehouses/Bothies, Windmill Stump and Store and Holland Farm. One of the earlier remaining structures of the Holland estate. The estate was bought by Thomas Traill, a soldier and member of what became a large landholding family in the Orkneys in 1637. It remained in the possession of the Traill family (apart from a gap between 1886 and 1928) until 1952. The main block of Holland House (see separate list description) was constructed between 1810-14 and the majority of the farm buildings (see separate list descriptions) are of 19th century date; however both retain some earlier structures.

References

Bibliography

First Edition County Series OS MAP (1881); Jocelyn Rendall, PAPAY, A GUIDE TO PLACES OF INTEREST (1992, 2nd Edition 1996) pp21-29; John Gifford, THE HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (in the 'Buildings of Scotland' series, 1992) p349.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HOLLAND DOVECOT, TO SOUTH WEST OF HOLLAND FARM

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/07/2019 05:54