Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

TANKERNESS, SEBAY FARMHOUSE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND STEADINGLB18571

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
09/12/1977
Local Authority
Orkney Islands
Planning Authority
Orkney Islands
Parish
St Andrews And Deerness
NGR
HY 52238 5574
Coordinates
352238, 1005574

Description

Earlier to mid 19th century with later alterations and additions. 2-storey, 3-bay T-plan symmetrical farmhouse with flat-roofed, dentilled entrance porch to W. Rubble, part-harled, with concrete block cills. Windows set close under eaves. 2 parallel single storey, rectangular-plan byres/sheds directly to rear (N) of main house. Steading courtyard to NE of main house comprising 2-storey barn range to W and single-storey remaining ranges.

FARMHOUSE: S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: aluminium-framed, glazed sun room/porch at ground in bay to centre; fleur-de-lys-headed sandstone pediment panel (inscription illegible) above deep-set door; window at 1st floor above. Window at each floor in bays flanking.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4-bay elevation, grouped 3-1. Boarded door to square-plan porch to internal angle to right of centre; window in left return; window flanking to left; window at 1st floor above. Window at 1st floor in each bay to left. Window at ground between. Window, set to right of gable, in advanced single bay to outer right; gablehead stack above.

4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof to main pitch of house; graded stone tiles to rear; stone ridges; harled, corniced gablehead and ridge stacks; uPVC rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen, 1998.

STEADING: coursed rubble farm buildings forming courtyard to NE of main house, comprising: 2-storey threshing mill/grain store/cart shed range to N; single storey byre range to W, adjoining store/byre range to S; single storey stable/byre range to E. Corrugated uPVC window to threshing barn range. Graded stone tiled roofs; grey slate to E range; stone ridges with ventilators; stone skews; small rooflights to livestock sheds.

THRESHING BARN/CART SHED (FORMING N RANGE): 7-bay courtyard (S) elevation, grouped 3-4. Cart shed/store to left: 3 large square-headed openings at ground spanning bays to left of centre; window at 1st floor in bay to centre; boarded door at 1st floor in bay to outer left. Boarded door at ground with small window flanking in bay to right; window at 1st floor above. 4-bay threshing barn to right: boarded door at ground in bay to right of centre; window at 1st floor above. Window at each floor in each bay remaining.

INTERIOR: boarded partition wall bisecting threshing barn; some threshing machinery extant to E end; timber staircase to grain store at 1st floor.

BYRE ( FORMING W RANGE): 4-bay courtyard (E) elevation: boarded door in bay to centre. Window in bay to outer right. Window in bay to left. Large 2-leaf timber doors, breaking eaves in bay to outer left.

INTERIOR: exposed tie beams to canted ceiling; concrete stall divisions lining W wall; iron tether poles and individual water troughs; central slurry channel.

STORE (FORMING S RANGE): single bay courtyard (N) elevation: boarded door set to outer right. 3-bay external (S) elevation: window in bay to centre. Sliding boarded door in bay to right. Window in bay to left. 2-leaf sliding boarded door in end gable of byre range to outer left.

STABLE (FORMING E RANGE): 3-bay courtyard (W) elevation; boarded door in bay to centre. Boarded door in bay to right. Window in bay to left.

INTERIOR: exposed tie beams to canted ceiling; timber stable partitions lining E wall; timber hay rack to S wall; central slurry channel.

BOUNDARY WALL: coursed rubble wall enclosing rectangular-plan garden to S of farmhouse.

Statement of Special Interest

The SE bay belonged to a branch of the Trail family from 1684 to 1768 when it was purchased by Sir Lawrence Dundas, 1st Baronet. The name probably derives from the Old Norse words, Sae-boer, meaning sea farm, or refering to farmland which abuts the coast.

References

Bibliography

DEAN OF GUILD, KIRKWALL, D7, 2/42; D8, 2/15 (Sebay Estate papers, 1616-1726); Appears on 1st edition OS map (1882);

H Marwick, ORKNEY FARM ANMES, (1952) p 85.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TANKERNESS, SEBAY FARMHOUSE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND STEADING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/11/2018 16:37