1840-50 and later 19th century, Scottish Baronial house,
incorporating and recasting earlier, dwelling. Mainly
2-storey and attic over raised basement on east sloping site.
All harled with contrasting red ashlar sandstone dressings
Asymmetrical south facing 4-bay entrance front, with off-
centre projecting gabled entrance bay with bracketted hood
approached by flight of steps with moulded ashlar balustrade
and terminal ball finials; panelled door and decorative
radial glazing to rectangular fanlight; 1st floor bipartite
and quatrefoil attic light. Hoodmoulded bipartites in
other bays; 3 pedimented dormers rise from wallhead; small
dummy bartizan at SW angle. Symmetrical east gable flanked by
angle drumtowers, at SE rising 3 storeys with corbelled and
crenellated wallhead and shallow conical roof; to NE drumtower
rises 4 storeys and attic terminating with simple corbelled
wallhead and decorative pedimented lucarne fronting slated
conical roof. Drumtowers linked at raised basement by pair
segmental headed arches fronting loggia.
Further 2-storey and attic range of earlier date, extends
north with simple pilastered basement entrance in north gable
with pilastered tripartite above. Multi-pane glazing;
crowsteps; coped ridge and end stacks; slate roofs.