Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
NS 25143 87413
225143, 687413


Charles Wilson, 1849. 2-storey with attic, asymmetrical, rambling-plan, Baronial house with Jacobethan details. Coarse

cement render with ashlar dressings and margins. Base course.

Crowstepped gables.

S ELEVATION: 5 asymmetrically disposed bays. 3-bay entrance block advanced off-centre to left. Tall, 3-stage tower at centre, basket-arched door with deeply moulded surround and shallow banded rustication with nailhead motif, robust keystone also with nailhead decoration; strapwork above door with owl at centre. 2 narrow windows at 2nd stage, symmetrically disposed with plaque at centre, window at centre of 3rd stage. Crenellated bay to right with slender bartizan, single window symmetrically disposed at ground and 1st floor; tripartite window at attic. Console cornice, crenellated parapet. Lower bay to left with single window at ground and 1st floor, jettied attic floor with gabletted dormer. Gabled bay to outer left, window at ground, canted oriel on corbelled base at 1st floor, blocking course.

Lower block to right of entrance bays tripartite projecting window at centre ground; stone mullions and transoms, decorative blocking course with strapwork pediment, datestone 1800 at centre. Gabled dormerheads at 1st floor, plaque in gableheads, finials. Stugged, coursed sandstone, 3-stage corner tower to outer right, small rectangular windows (obscured by ivy).

E ELEVATION: asymmetrical. Tall, crenellated tower block off-centre to left; full-height canted bay window (ground to 1st floor), window to right and left at ground, window at centre of 3rd stage. Crenellated parapet on deeply- moulded corbels, crenellated bartizans at corners, gable with apex stack rises at centre behind parapet. Lower 2-bay block to right, windows symmetrcially disposed; gabled strapwork dormerheads; stugged sandstone, square-plan bartizan to outer right, gabled. Lower slender bay to left of tower bay, large window, stone mullion and transom, cusped, cross-shaped upper lights; single window at 1st floor. Gabled outer left bay, full- height bow window with

dividing cornice and saw-tooth blocking course; half-conical ashlar roof. Rope-moulded hoodmould over upper window culminating in knotted label stops, blank raised plaque to right. Apex stack. Square-plan tower roof rises behind gable with serpent finial on weather-vane.

W ELEVATION: advanced gabled bay to outer right, canted window at ground, single window at 1st floor, slender pepperpot turrets, blind narrow windows. Lower narrow gabled bay recessed to left, stone transomed and mullioned window, cross-shaped upper lights. Taller, crenellated bay to left, single window at ground, canted oriel at 1st floor, tripartite window at attic. Lower 2-bay block to right, windows at higher level in penultimate bay; single window at ground, 2 windows at 1st floor; roofless bartizan.

N ELEVATION: roughly U-plan rear elevation; advanced gables to outer left and right, that to right broader and cement-rendered; wall built between 2 blocks obscuring ground floor of rear elevation. Tower recessed to outer left, crenellated bartizans; windows on right side of tower (10-lying-pane glazing at 2nd floor). Block to right, blocked tripartite stair window directly below fire escape.

Plate glass sash and case windows, many blocked with plywood. Grey slate roof; grey slate fish-scale tiles with cast-rion finials for

turrets and bartizans. Linked, diamond-set ridge stacks on pedestal bases; tall, corniced apex stacks.

INTERIOR: vestibule now divided to the right by partition but

originally opening into large room, large Tudor ashlar fireplace set

into arched recess, compartmentalised ribbed ceiling, wreath and ribbon interlaced cornice. Hall passage runs entire width of house, rope-moulding cornice punctuated by nailhead motif; arched ribbed ceiling, ribs carried on owl corbels. Drawing room to left at ground, compartmentalised ceiling of raised quatrefoil decoration, crocketted plasterwork rosette, Corinthian column screen at end near hall. Drawing room to right, bow-ended, compartmentalised ceiling, decorative crocketted plasterwork; 4-panelled doors. basket-arched arcade of

3 arches opening onto grand double stair, clustered columns, vegetal capitals, nailhead cornice; balusters of wooden stair removed, newel posts with ball finials survive; similar arcade at upper landing. Room to right at 1st floor, coved, ribbed ceiling; ribs carried on lion with saltire, figurative corbels. All dados and fireplaces removed. Upper rooms all plain; modern cast-iron stair in outer tower.

BRIDGE: bridge carrying avenue over small burn. Coursed sandstone with ashlar base course and saddleback coping. Pierced trefoil motif with red sandstone surround.

Statement of Special Interest

The house was designed by Charles Wilson for William Jamieson. Wilson was one of the most fashionable architects in the Glasgow area in the 1840s. The house was used as a reform school and there are numerous unsympathetic prefabricated buildings to the E and along the avenue to the SE. The former stables block and offices were also converted for school use. It is now the property of the Ministry of Defence and as the house has not been inhabited for some time it appears neglected with boarded windows, ivy growth and overgrown grounds. There are some structural cracks on the building.



OS 1st and 2nd edition maps, 1865, 1898. NMRS drawings DBD/13/1. F A Walker & F Sinclair (1992) p98. J Irving BOOK OF DUMBARTONSHIRE Vol II pp 290-291. THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF STIRLINGSHIRE p75. NMRS DBD/B/1 plan of principal floor, Charles Wilson, March, 1849.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SHANDON, SHORE ROAD, SHANDON HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/02/2024 18:19