Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

FAIRLIECREVOCH FARM, INCLUDING THE FARMHOUSE, THE STONE BARN, THE AULD DAIRY, THE OLD BYRE AND THE STABLELB18489

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
03/07/1980
Local Authority
East Ayrshire
Planning Authority
East Ayrshire
Parish
Stewarton
NGR
NS 36932 42398
Coordinates
236932, 642398

Description

Early 19th century. Traditional U-plan Ayrshire former farm incorporating asymmetrical 2-storey, 4-bay farmhouse with former steading wings to E and W and separate single-storey former stable block to N (all converted into housing). Rubble with some contrasting margins and some raised margins. Double-gabled steading to W. Forestair to E of stable. Slit openings to former barn. Some later openings.

Predominantly 4-pane heavily detailed replacement sash and case windows to house, 12-pane timber sash and case windows to other buildings and other, non-traditional windows. Grey slates. House with coped gablehead and ridge stacks. Raised skews. Some large Velux rooflights.

INTERIOR: (partially seen, 2008). Former outbuildings comprehensively modernised.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a good example of a traditional unpretentious U-plan Ayrshire former farm and stable block. The farm has been converted into 5 separate dwellings but retains it original distinctive U-plan form and has few external extensions or additions. This U-plan form, incorporating a two storey farmhouse centrally within the lower byre ranges, is typical of the area and evolved specifically to suit the requirements of dairy farming. Farms like Fairliecrevoch form a key part of Ayrshire's landscape and are an important record of the area's agricultural history. Many similar farms in this form in Stewarton Parish have now been extended and Fairliecrevoch, although now 5 separate dwellings is one which still retains its original plan form.

There are the remains of a former limekiln in the garden.

List description updated as part of Stewarton Parish resurvey, 2009.

References

Bibliography

John Thomson, Northern Part of Ayrshire Map, 1828, in NLS. 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1854-6. Other information courtesy of owners.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to FAIRLIECREVOCH FARM, INCLUDING THE FARMHOUSE, THE STONE BARN, THE AULD DAIRY, THE OLD BYRE AND THE STABLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/10/2019 17:42