Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
East Ayrshire
Planning Authority
East Ayrshire
NS 36517 43461
236517, 643461


Early 19th century, with later extension to NE. Single-storey, now T-plan lodge with distinctive deeply overhanging eaves supported by single cast iron columns forming corner verandahs. Squared and snecked rubble with ashlar margins. Wide canted bay window to W.

Non-traditional 4-pane, top-opening windows. Shallow, part-piended roof with 5 sections over bay window. Grey slates. Red brick ridge stack.

Statement of Special Interest

Comprising distinctive cast iron columns and corner verandahs, this lodge now marks the entrance to Girgenti Farm (listed separately). It forms one of a pair of lodges which were built originally for the now-demolished Girgenti House. Map evidence suggests that the lodge was originally square-plan, with verandahs at each corner, each supported by a single cast iron column. The shallow roof is distinctive and the unusual design marks this lodge out as a building of special interest.

The land here, together with an existing farm called Muirhead, was acquired in the late 1820s by an army Captain, John Cheape. Cheape built a new house on the site and renamed the house and farm Girgenti after a town in Sicily of which he was particularly fond. The house was described in the New Statistical Account as being "built in rather an uncommon style" and it was demolished in the 1940s. The lodges were probably built around the same time as the house. Cheape live in the house from 1829 until his death in 1850.

List description updated as part of Stewarton Parish resurvey, 2009.

Category changed from B to C(S), 2009.



1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map 1854-9. New Statistical Account, Vol V 1845, p734. M Davis, The Castles and Mansions of Ayrshire, 1991, p268. Hugh Macintosh, The Origin and History of Glasgow Streets, 1902 on (accessed 20-10-08).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GIRGENTI COTTAGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 11:11