A composite building dating from mid-15th to mid-20th
century, sited on steeply sloping, SE facing site. Rubble
tower and dovecote, remainder harled with ashlar margins and
Large square rubble built keep, circa 1460, with corbelled
and crenellated wallwalk, angle bartizans, cap house and
square south angle turret, forms NE arm of U-plan entrance
court. Tower linked to long, SE facing 17th century range by
square 17th century stair tower with ground floor entrance
in NW (now masked from outside by service passage). Moulded
doorpiece, decorated with crude stars and rosettes, gives
onto square stair well rising 3 storeys.
17th century mansion of 3 storeys (ground vaulted), 6
irregular bays with angle and near centre projecting stair
turrets; 4 swept dormers rise through wallhead. Later wings
of 2 builds and varying height project at NW to complete rear
court; rear NW elevation has later 18th century centre
projecting stair compartment, with centre entrance masked by
small square projecting crenellated porch.
Small, sympathetic, 3-storey over basement single bay service
wing in SE angle. Further 2-storey, irregular 5-bay rubble
service range at NE linked to main dwelling by harled wall
with ashlar cope and segmental headed, margined entrance to
form service court.
Later 18th century Venetian window in SW elevation (drawing
room). Multi-pane glazing. Pair bee boles in base of mansion
in SE elevation. 2 mural sundials at angles of main SE
Ridge and end stacks; crowsteps; slate roofs.
Interior; 15th century tower retains original plan form, with
mural wheel stair giving access to 4 floors and wallhead
walk. Modern chimney piece with carved quotation replaces
original in 1st floor hall, with corbelled and beamed
ceiling. 17th century range re-modelled and coved drawing
room ceiling with Adamesque chimney piece. Later 18th century
stair case with carved balusters, in north entrance wing and
entrance hall, which also contains re-sited ornate 1662
chimney piece (from 1st floor hall in old tower).
Dovecote; sited at south corner of castle to which it is
linked by section of former barmkin wall. 2-stage 15th/16th
century corner tower, with stone seated privy in ground floor
chamber and pigeon loft above, with door and small square
flanking pitching-eye, formerly fitted with iron yett. 19th
century shallow pyramidal slate roof, raised at centre to
accommodate flight holes.
Garden Walls; rubble garden wall with dressed stone cope and
segmental headed arched entrance, possibly incorporating
sections of earlier castle barmkin, fronting 19th century
Statement of Special Interest
Lands of Kilravock acquired by Hugh Rose of Geddes in 13th
century and in same family ever since. Keep thought to date
from circa 1460, when the Baron of Kilravock obtained a
licence from Lord of the Isles to build defensive tower. By
tradition an earlier building, cell or chapel was sited where
the abvesite now stands. Prince Charles Edward dined at
Kilravock before Battle of Culloden, and Duke of Cumberland
visited castle soon afterwards. Robert Burns visited Sept 6,
Entrance hall re-sited chimney piece dated 1662, initialled
HR and MI for Hugh Rose and Margaret Innes, married that
year. 1631 datestone at NW corner of house, inscribed NON EST
SALUS NISI IN CHRISTO and initialled WR, came from Old Nairn
Bridge in Nairn, built by Provost William Rose.
Pigeon loft only accessible by ladder; pitching eye for
ejection of pigeon manure.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.