Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

SADDELL CASTLELB18403

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
20/07/1971
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Parish
Saddell And Skipness
NGR
NR 78906 31545
Coordinates
178906, 631545

Description

Dated 1508. Restored 1650-2 and in 1890's.

KEEP: Oblong. 4 storeys. Harled. Gabled slate roof; crowsteps. Crenellated and corbelled parapet. Angle-turrets. Cape-house. Doorway with rope-moulding; inset over with date '1508'. Inset, above, of Galley of Lorne. Interior refitted c. 1650. Turnpike stair. Barrel-vaulted ground floor. Kitchen and Hall on 1st floor. Small apartments on upper floors.

OUTBUILDINGS. Of various kinds. Rubble; roofless. Mainly of late 18th and early 19th cents.

CURTAIN WALLS: Harled. Round archway (1 with insets over with date MDCCCXCV) and belfry above).

Statement of Special Interest

Derelict. Built for David Hamilton, Bishop of Argyll (1506-23) when Abbey lands were annexed to Bishopric. Burned by Earl of Sussex 1558. Given in 1650 by Marquis of Argyll to William Ralston of that Ilk, (the pioneer of the plantation of Lowland lairds in Kintyre) who restored it.

References

Bibliography

Groome's Gazetteer A McKerral 'Kintyre' Argyll C.C. 'List' C & D Arch Vol III pp 197-200 (plans, ill) Country Life. Sept. 19, 1947 p.572 (ill) INV 313 RCAHMS.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SADDELL CASTLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 13/11/2019 15:07