Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

NEW SCONE, ABBEY ROAD, ROBERT DOUGLAS MEMORIAL INSTITUTE (FORMER SCHOOL) AND 22 MANSFIELD ROADLB18365

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
09/06/1981
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Parish
Scone
NGR
NO 13616 26268
Coordinates
313616, 726268

Description

Large single-storey gothic former school (now community facility), dated 1876. Extended to and incorporating earlier school of 1846. Contemporary single-storey with attic S-facing schoolhouse adjoining earlier school, facing Mansfield Road.

Snecked and tooled sandstone, ashlar detailing. Well lit by tripartite, bipartite and single windows some with stone mullions, varied glazing including 8-pane timber sash and case windows and 4-pane timber sash and case windows with bottom hinged top hoppers. Some windows in house replaced by upvc windows; attic windows with cusped bargeboards.

Porch in SW angle of school with cusped bargeboards and dated clock within arched recess; fleche above.Quatrefoil windows in gables. Pitched slate roof to house and school, cusped and triangular roof vents in school. Stone stacks. Rubble wall and modern railings to boundary.

Statement of Special Interest

The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map shows the schoolhouse with rear rectangular-plan school adjoining. After the 1872 Education Act, which made education universal and compulsory, the school was extended with a large T-shaped Board School addition to the N, to cater for the increased school population. The school was gifted to New Scone by Robert Douglas (1859-1929).

David's father founded the Scone Jam Factory, his son Robert moved to America where he discovered fruit pectin and became President of the Certo Corporation. Robert set up a foundation trust for his native town for charitable and educational purposes [Haynes]. The building is now run as a community facility by the Robert Douglas Memorial Trust.

References

Bibliography

1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1867); N Haynes, Perth & Kinross (2000) p.178; www.robertdouglas.pkc.sch.uk/robert.htm (2003).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NEW SCONE, ABBEY ROAD, ROBERT DOUGLAS MEMORIAL INSTITUTE (FORMER SCHOOL) AND 22 MANSFIELD ROAD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 09:00