1804 and John Bell, 1833-4 (see Notes). Gothic, T-plan church, situated within church yard. Pinned rubble with raised, ashlar margins. Part-glazed entrance doors to E and W elevations with Venetian-style windows above. W elevation with ogee-capped Doric pillared bellcote with 1614 bell; datestone 1784 at base. Other, rectangular and pointed-arch window openings, some champfered. Interior includes outstanding 17th century Stormont pew.
Predominantly fixed timber windows; some with simple tracery. Grey slates, raised skews.
INTERIOR: (seen, 2012). Refurnished, 1966. Timber pews, pulpit and communion table. Contains 1616, elaborately carved, columned and canopied timber Stormont pew with 2 aediculed coats of arms and elaborate finials at top (see Notes).
SESSION HOUSE: 1877, John Macdonald. Single storey, irregular-plan session house, situated near to entrance to kirkyard. Coursed rubble. Canted pedimented entrance bay to SW, with shouldered door-case with panelled timber entrance door with fanlight above. Predominantly multi-pane timber sash and case windows. Irregular piended roofs, grey slates. Raised skews to gable. Tall, coped, wallhead stacks. INTERIOR: (seen, 2012). Original room layout largely intact. Slatted timber-panelled session room with decorative cornice and open timber roof.
CHURCHYARD: surrounds church. Variety of gravestones, including some with carvings, some Celtic crosses, dating from early 19th century. Includes 1840-1, large, elaborate, Baroque monument to David Douglas (see Notes); stepped plinth; clasping pilasters; inscribed face to S; vases to corners. Surmounted by decorative foliate scroll, topped by urn.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: walls to N, S, E and W. Coped rubble walls. Capped, square-plan gatepiers to E.
Statement of Special Interest
Place of Worship in use as such.
This is a good example of an early 19th century church, containing an outstanding and rare 17th century timber pew. The church is situated within its own churchyard and forms an integral group with the session house, graveyard and boundary walls.
The village of New Scone was built in 1804-5, when the previous Scone village was demolished to make way for the current enlargement of Scone Palace Estate (see separate listing). The parish church at Scone, built in 1784 was dismantled and re-erected in this present position. This church was one of the first buildings in the new village. The church was originally rectangular in form, with the north aisle being built in 1833-4 by John Bell, of Perth. It was repaired and partly renewed under supervision of John Macdonald in 1872. In 1966-7, the interior of the church was refurbished and a new pulpit, pews and E and W galleries were installed. The entrance door was also moved at this time from the S wall to the E gable.
The Stormont pew was constructed for the area's principal landowner, David, first Lord Scone. It is thought to have come from Denmark. It is made of oak and elaborately detailed and has 2 coats-of arms. One is inscribed "David, Lord Skone" and the other, "Elizabeth Lady Skone".
David Douglas (1799-1834) was born in Scone. He was a botanist and plant collector who introduced the Douglas fir into Scotland.
List description and statutory address updated, 2013.