Circa 1838; with alterations 1912. 2 storey, asymmetrical, irregular-plan Tudor Gothic mansion house with later alterations to NW; snecked and stugged ashlar with polished dressings.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: 5 irregular bays (plain, lower wings recessed at right); gabled entrance bay slightly advanced; Tudor arched and moulded porch opening, hood-moulded, with mask label-stops; Inner doorway with fanlight and later 20th century door; shallow oriel above. Projecting ground floor tripartite fills bays to right (square-headed and traceried lights), 2 basket-arched 1st floor windows above with dormerheads. 2 bays to left in recessed block, hood-moulded and traceried stair window in inner bay, single windows (projecting and traceried to ground floor, hood-moulded above) in slightly advanced and gabled broad left bay, 3-bay east elevation is similarly detailed. Finialed gables, with kneelers. South elevation includes 2-storey canted window, dormer, fire escape and low, flat- roofed and pebble-dashed addition.
Stacks have chamfered, square flues with linking cornices. Slated roofs.
INTERIOR: (seen 1982). Some re-modelling circa 1980 but much original work survives; elaborate cast-iron stair balustrade; entrance hall has ribbed ceiling; dinning room has later decorative chimney piece with Arts and Crafts style brass fire surround, egg and dart cornice, and vitruvian scroll frieze over doors.
Statement of Special Interest
Easter Moffat House is a good example of an early 19th century mansionhouse in Tudor Gothic style with good stone and interior detailing built in its own parkland. The building was restored and possibly extended in 1912 by local architect John Maurice Arthur (1877-1954) and some Arts and Crafts detailing dates to this period.
The building has a long association with the sport of golf; it has been in use as the golf club house for Easter Moffat Golf Club since it was formed in 1922. When the club first formed on the site it had a 9-hole course. This was extended to 18 holes in 1945.
The 'Articles and Laws in Playing Golf', a set of rules whose principles still underpin the game's current regulations, were penned in 1744 by the Company of Gentlemen Golfers (now The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers). Improved transport links and increased leisure time as well as a rise in the middle classes from the mid 19th century onwards increased the popularity of the sport with another peak taking place in the early 1900s.
List description updated as part of the sporting buildings thematic study (2012-2013).