There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- South Ayrshire
- Planning Authority
- South Ayrshire
- Monkton And Prestwick
- NS 35864 27734
- 235864, 627734
William Gibson of St Quivox, 1822, with additions and alterations, John Murdoch, 1878 and 1895. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, T-plan, gabled former manse with central curved splayed porch, canted, piend-roofed dormers and single storey piend-roofed rear wing. Rendered stone with polished red sandstone dressings to main part of house; squared, coursed sandstone with polished ashlar dressings to rear wing. Base course; moulded eaves course. Raised quoin strips; regular fenestration with raised ashlar margins.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: flat-roofed porch to principal (S) elevation with plain square pilasters flanking single-leaf timber-panelled door with leaded fanlight above; single windows in curved splayed side walls; cornice and low parapet. Side door to W gable with flanking pilasters and projecting stone canopy. 4-bay rear (N) elevation; irregular fenestration to single-storey rear wing. E elevation with single window and small later single-storey addition towards rear containing third entrance.
12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Ashlar-coped skews. Rendered stone gablehead stacks with later small red clay cans. Grey slate roof; rooflights to front and rear.
INTERIOR: geometric-patterned polychrome floor tiles and decorative ribbed octagonal plaster vaulting to porch, split in two by wall flush with façade containing inner door. Central hall leading to fine curved stone staircase rising through two storeys with plain iron balusters and polished wooden handrail. Bow-ended principal ground-floor rooms with curved timber-panelled doors and later chimneypiece to outer wall flanked by recesses. Timber-panelled doors, working timber shutters and simple cornicing throughout main part of house. Timber-boarded doors and simple timber shelving in pantry and service arease in rear wing.
STABLES: single storey, roughly rectangular-plan, gabled former stable block with arched opening to carriage house in slightly advanced gabled section to centre. Irregular fenestration.
Statement of Special Interest
A fine, elegant example of an earlier 19th century Classical manse with a little-altered interior, and one of the key buildings in Monkton Village. Plans for a new manse and offices were approved in 1806; the manse was not built at that time, but the 'offices' were, and these may be the existing stables. The mason/architect both at this time and when the manse was finally built in 1822 was William Gibson of St Quivox. The curved internal walls, doors and staircase, and the porch with its delicately detailed interior, are particularly unusual and fine. A splayed porch is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, and so this feature is presumably part of the original scheme. The nature of the work carried out in the later 19th century by John Murdoch, an Ayr architect who in the mid-century had worked in a dry Georgian manner but by that time was proficient in both a Bryce-school Scots Baronial and a Queen Anne-inspired Free Renaissance style, is not known.
The New Statistical Account states: 'The manse was built in 1822. The glebe, including the garden and the ground occupied by the manse and offices, is about 8 Scotch acres in extent, and for the last fifteen or sixteen years rented at from L.5 to L.5.5, 5s. per acre. The stipend is 17 childers of victual, half meal, half barley, with L.8, 6s. 8d. as allowance for communion elements.'
The old manse was sold to Scottish Aviation Ltd in 1938. At the time of listing (2007), many of the red sandstone features had suffered from stone erosion, causing the loss of some detailing, and the stables were in poor condition and structurally unsound.
New Statistical Account of Scotland (1845), Vol.V, pp 176'7. Shown on 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (1854-9). Historical information courtesy of Rob Close (2007).
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MONKTON, TARBOLTON ROAD, THE OLD MANSE AND STABLE
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 26/03/2019 03:57