Originally: square 2-storey 9-window main block with lower
2-storey 2-window wings to E. & W. on S. side. Pedimented
S. frontage, centre of N. frontage flanked by shaped gables
with urns and paired arch-linked chimneys.
Rubble-built with margins and relieving arches. Wm. Adam,
Sr., arch., 1738. c.1810, 4-column R-doric porch and
centre attic added to N. front, and on S. front 1st floor
Ionic portico (original pediment re-used) with long
colonnades of slim unfluted G-doric columns at ground floor
connecting with single storey bow-fronted wings: also 1/2-
storey ashlar stable block with cupola clock tower over
entrance archway: Richard Crichton, architect. Adam wings
rebuilt to same height as centre block c.1840: ballroom
extended into portico at later date. Notable interiors of
Adam date and later.