Possibly George Penrose Kennedy, circa 1850; with circa 1880 extension possibly by George Turnbull Ewing (see Notes). Well-detailed gate lodge and gates sited at principal (E) entrance of Pitkellony House at edge of Muthill Village. Single storey and attic, 3-bay, gabled house with pedimented windowheads breaking eaves, pedimented porch and paired diamond-aligned stacks; slightly lower rectangular-plan gabled extension to W and lower swept-roof outshot (now separate dwelling) at rear. Snecked rubble with raised ashlar margins and droved dressings, and harl with painted margins. Chamfered arrises, deep-set windows.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: symmetrical principal elevation to N with projecting stone porch incorporating panelled timber door below 7-pane fanlight and dentilled pediment to centre, small bipartite windows to flanking bays giving way to single stone dormerheaded windows above. Further gabled bay projecting at outer right also with single window.
4-, 12-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates and small cast iron rooflight. Coped ashlar and snecked rubble stacks with full-complement of cans, mostly polygonal. Overhanging eaves with exposed rafters and plain bargeboarding.
INTERIOR: some original detail retained, including moulded plasterwork cornicing and timber shutters.
DAIRY: single storey, single bay, rectangular plan, piended dairy of snecked rubble with huge quoins. Slated roof with plain bargeboard over gabled door, and evidence of 3-pane glazing pattern over timber- shuttered openings. Interior retains stone benches and evidence of lime/whitewashed walls.
ANCILLARY BUILDING: long single storey and hayloft with dovecot, rectangular-plan ancillary building (immediately to SW of Dairy). Slated rubble with timber doors. NE elevation with timber gablehead incorporating dovecote with single flight hole, and small single storey piended projection at left ground.
EAST GATE, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: monumental ashlar drum gatepiers, each with stepped cornice and ball finial, and 2-leaf decorative ironwork gates. Snecked rubble boundary walls.
Statement of Special Interest
Previously listed as Pitkellony Lodge and Gates, Thornhill. B Group with Pitkellony House and Walled Garden. Thornhill House and its associated structures form an integral part of the estate's buildings. Standing at the eastern entrance to the Pitkellony estate, at the foot of a fine tree-lined drive with stunning views of Muthill and Strathearn, these buildings are an important part of it's development. Pitkellony House, now (2007) the Estate Office for Drummond Castle, probably dates from the 17th century. Thornhill, significantly larger than most lodges, is attributed to George Penrose Kennedy as he was raised at Pitkellony, and his brother (John Eugene) was factor during the mid 19th century, having succeeded their father in this role. George Penrose may have designed the 1850 NE wing of Pitkellony House and could therefore have been employed to design Thornhill Lodge as it appears on 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. G P Kennedy was commissioned to carry out restoration of a tower house for Drummond Castle prior to 1868, and his other works include a the Free Church and School in Callander, Crieff Courthouse and gardens and lodge at Tulliallan Castle. The large north room dates stylistically to the 1880s, at which time George Turnbull Ewing was remodelling Pitkellony House.