Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
NM 74893 35325
174893, 735325


KEEP: Later 14th century.(?). Oblong. 3 storeys and cap-house. Random rubble. Slated roof (modern). Flush parapet. Slit windows. Interior: kitchens in 1st storey. Banqueting Hall in 2nd. On N.W. side of court. CURTAIN WALL on other 3 sides of court. Probably earlier than Keep. Entrance on SW approached by stairs.

HOUSE: 17th cent. L-plan. 2 storeys and garret. Corbie-step-gabled. Dormers. Lintel over entrance in NE arm inscribed 'SAM 1653', inset over with armorial bearings. Turnpike stair on NE side. Built into NE and SE sides of court with windows in curtain walls.

Statement of Special Interest

Since the 13th Century. Seat of Macleans of Duart. On a rocky promontory on Sound of Mull. Keep perhaps built for Lachlan Lubanach Maclean. House added for Sir Allan Maclean, 3rd Bt Lands and Castle (forfeited by Sir John, 4th Bt) Passed to Earl of Argyll 1692. Abandoned 1751. Castle fell into decay, but was bought back in 1911 by Colonel Sir Fitzroy Maclean, 10th Bt, 26th Chief, and was restored for him by Sir John James Burnet.



OSA NSA TSA Groome. Argyll C C 'List" C & D Arch III, pp.46-51 (plan,

ills). J P Maclean, 'Renaissance of Clan Maclean' 1913 (ills). RCAHMS Vol 3 No 339.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DUART CASTLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/07/2019 08:59